* Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
@ 2003-03-02  0:11 Adam J. Richter
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Adam J. Richter @ 2003-03-02  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea, linux-kernel, pavel, pavel; +Cc: hch

Pavel Machek wrote:
> I've created little project for read-only (for now ;-) kitbeeper
> clone. It is available at www.sf.net/projects/bitbucket (no tar balls,
> just get it fresh from CVS).

	Thank you for taking some initiative and improving this
situation by constructive means.  You are an example to us all,
as is Andrea Arcangeli with his openbkweb project, which you
will probably want to examine and perhaps integrate
(ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/openbkweb).

	bitbucket is about 350 lines of shell scripts, documentation
and diffs, the most interesting file of which is FORMAT, which
documents some reverse engineering efforts on bitkeeper internal file
formats.  bitkbucket currently uses rsync to update data from the
repository.  openbkweb is 500+ lines of python that implements enough
of the bitkeeper network protocol to do downloads, although perhaps in
inefficiently.  That sounds like some functionality that you might be
interested in integrating.

	I think the suggestion made by Pavel Janik that it would
be better to work on adding BitKeeper-like functionality to existing
free software packages is a bit misdirected.  BitKeeper uses SCCS
format, and we have a GPL'ed SCCS clone ("cssc"), so you are
adding functionality to existing free software version control
code anyhow.

	However, I would like to turn Pavel Janik's point in
what I think might be a more constructive direction.

	Aegis, BitKeeper and probably other configuration management
tools that use sccs or rcs basically share a common type of lower
layer.  This lower layer converts a file-based revision control system
such as sccs to an "uber-cvs", as someone called it in a slashdot
discussion, that can:

	    1. process a transaction against a group of files atomically,
	    2. associate a comment with such a transaction rather than
	       with just one file,
	    3. represent symbolic links, file protections
            4. represent file renames (and perhaps copies?)

	You might want to keep in the back of your mind the
possibility of someday splitting off this lower level into a separate
software package that programs like your bitkeeper clone, aegis could
use in common.  If the interface to this lower level took cvs
commands, then it could probably replace cvs, although the repository
would probably be incompatible since the meaning of things like
checking in multiple files together with a single comment would be
different, and there would be other kinds of changes to represent
beyond what cvs currently does.  Using a repository format that is
compatible with another system (for example bitkeeper or aegis) would
make such a tool more useful, and if such a tool makes it easier for
people to migrate from a prorprietary system to a free one, that's
even better, so your starting with bitkeeper's format seems like an
excellent choice to me.

	Thanks again for starting this project.  I will at least
try to be a user of it.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  Milpitas, California 95035
+1 408 309-6081         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
                         "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

* Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
@ 2003-04-08 17:52 Chuck Ebbert
From: Chuck Ebbert @ 2003-04-08 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: linux-kernel

>> > Except that those are ideas as far as I can tell, not actual code.
>>
>>  Last I saw they had a prototype that worked better than they expected.
>
> Which you've installed and tried, right?

 Heh.  The whole Eclipse/CDT/Stellation assemblage takes so much work
just to get off the ground it's not even funny, not to mention their
directions for putting Stellation on Oracle are curiously empty.

>  I just poked through their
> website and I can't find anywhere in the code or docs where it says
> they have the 'slices' idea implemented.  They certainly talk about
> it a lot.

  Did you look in the changelog?

>>   1. Keep the csets separate but link them together.  Let the developer
>>      tell the system whether one is an enhancement or a bugfix to the base.
>
> BK already does this.

Can I somehow 'collapse' the csets together when browsing the repository?
A nice example might be the recent ethernet padding fix, where there ended
up being a whole set of separate patches.  By looking through the
comments I can piece together a complete patch, but it's painful.

--
 Chuck
 I am not a number!

* Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
@ 2003-04-08 13:06 Chuck Ebbert
From: Chuck Ebbert @ 2003-04-08 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: linux-kernel

>> Have you looked at Stellation at all?  I know the
>> code itself is Java but they have some neat ideas about
>> being able to take 'slices' across the repository and
>> treat the slice as a single file for things like revision
>> tracking.
>
> Except that those are ideas as far as I can tell, not actual code.

 Last I saw they had a prototype that worked better than they expected.

>  In the
>for what it is worth department, we've done this internally and found
>it doesn't work as well as you might hope.  Sometimes there are clear
>delinations and you really can move stuff around but most of the time
>there is stuff built on top of the stuff you want to move and there is
>no way for a program to tell the difference between enhancements vs fixes
>to the original change.

I wouldn't expect the system to be able to do that any better than it can
resolve every merge conflict.  And at the very least I'd like to be able
link changesets together so that if I pull cset 1 and there is a mandatory
fix applied to it, I at least get a pointer to the changes.  Something
like this:

  1. Keep the csets separate but link them together.  Let the developer
     tell the system whether one is an enhancement or a bugfix to the base.

  2. Conflicts can be resolved when someone pulls any member of the group.

Stellation is also nice becuase it's built on a SQL database.  This gains
you all the features of the DBMS you run it on, like rollback of failed
transactions and point-in-time recovery.

--
 Chuck

* Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
@ 2003-04-07 23:57 Chuck Ebbert
From: Chuck Ebbert @ 2003-04-07 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Baudis; +Cc: linux-kernel

>FYI, the SVN and Arch folks have set up a mailing list
>for discussion about generic "smarter patch" format, see
>http://www.red-bean.com/mailman/listinfo/changesets for
>details/subscription.

Have you looked at Stellation at all?  I know the
code itself is Java but they have some neat ideas about
being able to take 'slices' across the repository and
treat the slice as a single file for things like revision
tracking.  In some ways this is like a changeset; I could
see wanting to track revisions this way, for example:

  1. Changeset 'fix broken ptrace' gets applied
  2. Other stuff gets changed
  3. Changeset 'fix fix broken ptrace' is applied

I would want to be able to treat 1 and 3 as a single
changeset with two revision levels.

--
 Chuck
 Today's books: Internetworking with TCP/IP - Douglas E. Comer

[parent not found: <1047571030.5373.161.camel@passion.cambridge.redhat.com>]
[parent not found: <20030309001008$2ed5@gated-at.bofh.it>]
* RE: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
@ 2003-03-13 16:21 Ed Vance
From: Ed Vance @ 2003-03-13 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 5:32 PM, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Werner Almesberger <wa@almesberger.net> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > Real time is still useful, if only as a hint to users.
>
> Lots of things would be useful to have, but you just can't get them.
> There is no guarantee that the clocks of the machines are
> even remotely
> near synchronized (don't get me started on that).
> --

You mean like my legacy SPARCstation 1+ that runs in 1997 (days of week
match) so my "lifetime" licenses for apps from long ago dead companies don't
"expire" anyway, due to a Y2K bug in the license handler?

Ed Vance              edv (at) macrolink (dot) com
Macrolink, Inc.       1500 N. Kellogg Dr  Anaheim, CA  92807

* Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
@ 2003-03-12 19:00 Kaz Kylheku
From: Kaz Kylheku @ 2003-03-12 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Now, it's true that in 90% of all cases (probably closer to 99%) you
> will never see the really nasty cases Larry was talking about. People
> just don't rename files that much, and more importantly: then whey do,
> they very very seldom have anybody else doing the same.

The Meta-CVS software handles conflicting renames quite nicely.
Corner cases such as these are handled smoothly:

- merging parallel moves of the same object to different names
- merging parellel moves of multiple objects to the same name
- name rotation situations: a renamed to b, b renamed to c,
  c renamed to d, d renamed back to a, all committed as one atomic
  change. You can update to before that change, and a b c d jump
  to their original names in your sandbox; then update past the change
  and they jump to their new names.
- merging deletion and modification of a file
- merging parallel additions of an object to the same name.

> On eof the things I always hated about CVS is how it makes it
> IMPOSSIBLE to "work together" on something between two different random
> people.  Take one person who's been working on something for a while,
> but is chansing that one final bug, and asks another person for help.
> It just DOES NOT WORK in the CVS mentality (or _any_ centralized
> setup).

Meta-CVS has sane snapshot-importing feature: ``mcvs grab''.  If
someone has some hacked version of a program that I released, he can
give me a snapshot, and tell me what release it is based from. I can
shoot a branch from that release baseline, and grab his snapshot to
that branch. It doesn't matter if he added, removed or moved files,
changed around symbolic links, or fiddled with execute permissions; all
is analyzed and represented. The software prepares the import by
converting the snapshot into a sandbox containing local changes that I
can review, then commit.

Just as I can have this branch for tracking his changes in my
repository, he can have a branch for tracking my changes in his.

These are not changesets, in the sense that I don't have a detailed
change history, only a single delta for everything. I have to write my
own commit comment for the snapshot.  On the other hand, the input is a
simple snapshot, not a data structure produced by some specific version
control system that the other guy would have to use.  I don't care if
he uses tarballs for his version control.

* Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
@ 2003-03-03 17:02 Adam J. Richter
From: Adam J. Richter @ 2003-03-03 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esm; +Cc: linux-kernel

[I've dropped all of the direct email addresses from the cc list.
I think they'd probably rather just see one copy of this tangential
discussion on the linux-kernel list, if at all. -Adam]

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 06:23:21PM -0800, Adam J. Richter wrote:
>> 	Note that Subversion, in particular, is GPL incompatible and

>http://subversion.tigris.org/project_license.html

>I don't see anything particularly GPL-incompatible in there;

	I think the main incompatibility is part 3 (the advertising
requirement).  Regarding the Apache 1.1 license, which is used by
Subversion, http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html#OriginalBSD
says, "This is a permissive non-copyleft free software license with a
few requirements that render it incompatible with the GNU GPL. We urge
you not to use the Apache licenses for software you write. However,
there is no reason to avoid running programs that have been released
under this license, such as Apache."

>looks pretty much like a BSD-style license to me.

	FSF has said that they believe that only the "new style" BSD
licenses are GPL compatible.  They consider the "old style" (with the
advertising requirement) to be GPL incompatible.

>Something that precludes SVN's use
>by GPL'd projects, or precludes integration with GPL'd projects, is
>something I'm sure CollabNet and the developers on the mailing list would
>love to know about

	That is not what I mean by "GPL incompatible."

	http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean
gives the foundation's definition of "compatible with the GPL":

| What does it mean to say a license is "compatible with the GPL".
|
| 	It means that the other license and the GNU GPL are
| compatible; you can combine code released under the other license with
| code released under the GNU GPL in one larger program.
|
|	The GPL permits such a combination provided it is released
| under the GNU GPL. The other license is compatible with the GPL if it
| permits this too.

	When I say "GPL compatible", my meaning is similar, perhaps
identical.  By "GPL compatible", I mean that if the contents of a work
are comingled with GPL'ed content, even within the same file, that
obeying the terms of the GPL with regard to the whole resultant work
results in one having at least the permissions of the GPL with regard
to the whole resultant work (this, by the way, is what I believe
"licensed as a whole" under the GPL means).

	I mentioned the GPL incompatibility issue to Brian Behlendorf
after a he gave at a trade show once, and he said, approximately, "it
is the GPL's fault, you know."  This discussion took place after the
University of California at Berkeley had switched to the new BSD terms
for GPL compatibility.  At that point, I believed that investing
further time in arguing would probably not produce useful results.

>Lacking an on-disk format that's actually useful for storing more
>information than files and diffs, they invented one.

	There already were free systems that deal with directory
information and change sets on groups of files rather than single
files.  The Subversion team chose to use a new format that I've heard
many people, even people who seem not to care about the GPL
incompatibility, says is complex enough to warrant not using svn.
Even when one of the Subversion people gave a talk at the Silicon
Valley Linux User Group, he acknowledged that many people on some
mailing list discussing Subversion design issues, including Larry
McVoy, considered their decision to be a big mistake.

>[...] svn is architected such that bolting up
>to another repository storage system (say, an RDBMS, or even, horrors, a
>bitkeeper-compatible SCCS derivative) is really just a matter of writing
>the code (with a few caveats, obviously, but that's the basic idea).

	That is arguably true of most source code control system that
try to deal with multi-file commits.  For example, Aegis already lets
you choose between rcs or sccs.

	All that said, I do not consider contribution to Subvresion to be
something that has a negative sum effect.  If you are contributing to
Subversion, I'm not saying that that is a bad thing.

@ 2003-03-02  2:23 Adam J. Richter
From: Adam J. Richter @ 2003-03-02  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diegocg; +Cc: andrea, hch, linux-kernel, pavel, pavel

Arador <diegocg@teleline.es> wrote:
>Why to waste time trying to clone a
>tool such as bitkeeper? Why not to support things like subversion?

	"Why" depends on one's priorities.

	Some of us the linux-kernel crowd are interested in being able
to interface with the bitkeeper-using kernel developers a bit more
efficiently.  The developers currently using bitkeeper started using
it when these other systems were already available, so I doubt that
improving another free version control system will do more for free
software adoption than providing BK compatability (I don't know if
that is a priority for you).

	Note that Subversion, in particular, is GPL incompatible and
uses its own underlying repository format that isn't particularly
compatible with anything else and required a web server plus some
minor web server extension when last I checked.  As I previously
mentioned, Bitkeeper is based on sccs for which a GPL-compatible clone
exists: cssc, and sccs format is used in a lot of other places as
well.  So the result of cloning the "uber-cvs" in bitkeeper might
actually have more applicability than trying to extract the same layer
from subversion, even though Subversion is freer than BitKeeper.

	Different people have different priorities or order them
differently.  If you contribute to aegis, prcs, or even Subversion, I
think that's great.  If you produce a separate GPL compatible
"uber-CVS" layer that way, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  Milpitas, California 95035
+1 408 309-6081         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
                         "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

* BitBucket: GPL-ed BitKeeper clone
@ 2003-02-26 20:02 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-02-26 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea, kernel list

Hi!

I've created little project for read-only (for now ;-) bitkeeper
clone. It is available at www.sf.net/projects/bitbucket (no tar balls,
just get it fresh from CVS).

Part of readme follows.

Install CSSC from <http://cssc.sf.net/> (it is also available as
Debian package). You may need to apply cssc.diff.

Here you get following tools:

bcheckout_HEAD:
        extracts files from BK repository. You can get repository
        by rsync -zav --delete nl.linux.org::kernel/linux-2.5 .

bpull:
        pull new version of repository, compute differences from
        the last time and apply them to directory with *your*
        sources.

bdiff:
        compare two versions (specify versions from top-level
        s.ChangeSet)

To get a list of all changesets, do prs linux-2.5/SCCS/s.ChangeSet.

Enjoy, and help me make it usefull,
								Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]