* reiserfs, xfs, ext2, ext3
@ 2001-05-09  7:38 Martín Marqués
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Martín Marqués @ 2001-05-09  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

We are waiting for a server with dual PIII, RAID 1,0 and 5 18Gb scsi disks to
come so we can change our proxy server, that will run on Linux with Squid.
One disk will go inside (I think?) and the other 4 on a tower conected to the
RAID, which will be have the cache of the squid server.

One of my partners thinks that we should use reiserfs on all the server (the
partitions of the Linux distro, and the cache partitions), and I found out
that reiserfs has had lots of bugs, and is marked as experimental in kernel
2.4.4. Not to mention that the people of RH discourage there users from using
it.

There has also been lots of talks about reiserfs being the cause of some data
lose and performance lose (not sure about this last one).

So what I want is to know which is the status of this 3 journaling FS. Which
is the one we should look for?

I think that the data lose is not significant in a proxy cache, if the FS is
really fast, as is said reiserfs is.

Saludos... :-)

--
El mejor sistema operativo es aquel que te da de comer.
Cuida tu dieta.

* Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone.
@ 2004-09-29 13:44 Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2004-09-29 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[Note, suspect this didn't appear earlier because of vger disliking
mention of De*tschland!]

Hi,

I've been talking with UK company Amstrad PLC regarding their
obligations under the GNU GPL for the Linux they ship on their new E3
videophone in the UK.

    http://www.amstrad.com/default.shtml
    http://www.amstrad.com/e3_intro.html

It's based on a TI OMAP ARM SoC and runs MontaVista Linux.

    http://www.amstrad.com/news_linux.html
    http://www.mvista.com/news/2004/amstrad.html

They're shipping the E3 in a box for sale off the shelf in places like
Dixons, Currys, etc.  I believe they haven't complied with section 3 of
the GNU GPL.  There's no source shipped in the box, i.e. 3(a).  There's
no written notice either, 3(b), in the thick manual, or the other sheets
of paper in the box, printed on the box, or on stickers on the E3.  I
inspected the contents of a box, serial number available if required, at
my local store with the agreement of a staff member who opened all the
wrappings.  The manual had "Issue No. 9 (D1/H4)" printed at the bottom
right corner of page 1, as does the online PDF of the manual available
for download.

    ftp://ftp.amstrad.co.uk/e3_userguide_web_v1.zip   9,614,278 bytes

I am not an E3 owner, nor have I been passed the GPL'd binaries with or
without a written offer under 3(c).

Initially I tried discussing their compliance with
support@amserve.ltd.uk but they were only willing to discuss source
access details on presentation of proof of purchase, e.g. serial number,
registered phone number, etc., and weren't willing to discuss if they
were complying with the GPL.

So I next emailed Sir Alan Sugar, Amstrad Chairman, and got a reply from
Brian Eaton, E-Business Director.  He initially, like Support, seemed
confident they were complying but I got the impression he hadn't
actually read my argument so I tried once more to point out how what
they were doing wasn't complying.  This time I got a reply saying

    "Your comments are noted. We will get back to you shortly. In the
    meantime can you let me have your postal address please so that I
    can send you something?"

This, coupled with activity to my Amstrad Linux page from several
browsers at an IP address similar to Amstrad's public ones around the
time Brian's reply was sent, makes me think I should make the issue
public before anything that would prevent me doing that may happen.

All my correspondence is attached but the most interesting is message 9
where I spell out the license requirements to Brian Eaton, 10 where he
yesterday asked for my address, and 11 where he re-stated they've don't
have to discuss it with me.  I think they're failing to comply with
section 3.  There's other minor things too in the manual that I've
highlighted.  They're right in saying they've no obligation to discuss
their compliance with me.  I'm hoping that by posting here a copyright
holder will query their apparent lack of compliance and Amstrad will be
happy to converse with them.

To re-iterate, there's no source code or written offer in the box.  They
say they'll provide a URL to an E3 owner on proof of ownership but
that's insufficient.  The situation is made more complex by the E3
downloading software updates, including seemingly the kernel, so they'll
be multiple versions to provide source for over time.

Cheers,

Ralph.

------- Forwarded Messages

To: support@amserve.ltd.uk
Subject: Source for E3's MontaVista Linux.
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:57:39 +0100
From: Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>

Hi,

I see from the joint MontaVista/Amstrad press release that MontaVista
Linux has been chosen for the E3's operating system.  I've had a hunt
around the amstrad.co.uk web site and haven't been able to find a
download of the source for the binaries shipped on the E3 that are
covered by the GNU General Public License.

Could you please let me know how to obtain them.

Many thanks,

Ralph.

------- Message 2

From: Amserve Support <support@amserve.ltd.uk>
To: "'Ralph Corderoy'" <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Source for E3's MontaVista Linux.
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:07:19 +0100
Thank you for your email.

Please provide the serial number from your E3 unit (located on the underside
of the unit or by pressing SETUP and option 1) so that we can provide these
details.

Regards

Amserve Support

> > I see from the joint MontaVista/Amstrad press release that
> > MontaVista Linux has been chosen for the E3's operating system.
> > I've had a hunt around the amstrad.co.uk web site and haven't been
> > able to find a download of the source for the binaries shipped on
> > the E3 that are covered by the GNU General Public License.
> >
> > Could you please let me know how to obtain them.
>
> Please provide the serial number from your E3 unit (located on the
> underside of the unit or by pressing SETUP and option 1) so that we
> can provide these details.

I can't do that as I don't have an E3.  I was assuming that out of the
three choices, a, b, or c, from section 3 of the GNU GPL, Amstrad had
chosen b.

    http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html#SEC3

    You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
    under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms
    of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the
    following:

        a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
        source code, which must be distributed under the terms of
        Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software
        interchange; or,

Let me know if a has been chosen and I'll contact an E3 owner who'll
already have the source and may be willing to distribute it to me.

        b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
        years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
        cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
        machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
        distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a
        medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

I assumed Amstrad chose b and I am turning up as `any third party'
requesting a copy of the source code.

        c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the
        offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative
        is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
        received the program in object code or executable form with such
        an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

c doesn't seem a possible choice for Amstrad.

a is a useful one because it means that parties cannot request source
from Amstrad as Amstrad ensured source travelled with all binaries.  It
becomes more awkward if the device may update its GPL'd software after
shipping to the customer though.

To save overhead, b can be largely satisfied by making the various
versions of source available on the Internet for download as they are
distributed in binary form.  Most people wanting the source would prefer
this method although as I understand it Internet access alone isn't
sufficient to satisfy section 3 and a physical medium, obtainable by
mail-order, must also be available even if no one ever uses it.

As ever with these things, I am not a lawyer so if you think my
interpretation is wrong I'd like to know.  Otherwise, could you please
let me know which one of 3a, 3b, and 3c Amstrad have chosen so I can
continue in trying to obtain the GPL'd source.

Thanks,

Ralph.

------- Message 4

From: Amserve Support <support@amserve.ltd.uk>
To: "'ralph@inputplus.co.uk'" <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
Subject: FW: Source for E3's MontaVista Linux.
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:26:21 +0100

Amserve will require the following information in order to divulge any
further informatiom

Date of Purchase

Retailer

Serial Number of E Mailer unit

E Mail address.

Telephone number

Regards  Amserve

> > > Please provide the serial number from your E3 unit (located on the
> > > underside of the unit or by pressing SETUP and option 1) so that
> > > we can provide these details.
> >
> > I can't do that as I don't have an E3.  I was assuming that out of
> > the three choices, a, b, or c, from section 3 of the GNU GPL,
> > Amstrad had chosen b.

> > As ever with these things, I am not a lawyer so if you think my
> > interpretation is wrong I'd like to know.  Otherwise, could you
> > please let me know which one of 3a, 3b, and 3c Amstrad have chosen
> > so I can continue in trying to obtain the GPL'd source.
>
> Amserve will require the following information in order to divulge any
> further informatiom
>
> Date of Purchase, Retailer, Serial Number of E Mailer unit, E Mail
> address, Telephone number.

Could you answer a simpler question?  If I buy an E3 at Dixons and open
it will I find the GPL'd source code in the box, or will I find a
written offer to provide it?  It must be one of these two otherwise
Amstrad are in violation of the GNU GPL version 2, as explained in my
previous email, that covers some of the binaries shipped in the E3 and
as such their rights under the GPL are terminated, see section 4.

    4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program
    except as expressly provided under this License.  Any attempt
    otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is
    void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this
    License.  However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from
    you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so
    long as such parties remain in full compliance.

In other words, Amstrad would be infringing copyright by selling E3s
which is a serious and easily avoidable situation.

This almost certainly isn't the case, but issuing a standard `please
supply your serial number' to all enquiries is inadequate if section 3b
of the GPL has been followed.

If that's the only procedure that has been presented to Amserve Support
perhaps my simpler question above can be passed internally to an area
that deals with licensing and copyright.

Thanks,

Ralph.

------- Message 6

From: Amserve Support <support@amserve.ltd.uk>
To: "'Ralph Corderoy'" <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:08:08 +0100
Thank you for your email.

We are happy to explain how we comply with the GPL to our customers. To
date, it appears that this is not so in your case. Should you purchase an E3
personal communication centre and wish to continue this correspondence,
please provide us with the unit serial number, registered email address and
purchase details we have previously requested. Following which, we will
forward the necessary information.

Regards

Amserve Support

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:33:21 +0100
From: Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>

- ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

Dear Sir Alan,

Since last Thursday I've been conversing by email with
support@amserve.ltd.uk regarding the meeting the license conditions of
some parts of the software that ships with Amstrad's E3.  In particular,
the Linux kernel used on the E3, as announced in a joint
Amstrad/MontaVista press release, is covered by the GNU General Public
License, GPL, version 2.

    http://www.amstrad.com/news_linux.html

Perhaps understandably, given their role in supporting owners of an E3,
Support are reluctant to discuss the license compliance further unless I
can provide a serial number, etc., which, given I've not purchased an
E3, I don't have.  Consequently, I'm writing to you in the hope of
straightening out any license infringement, or correcting my
understanding.  Let me make clear, I'm delighted Amstrad have used Linux
on the E3 and wish nothing more than to see Linux's license complied
with allowing me to obtain the GPL'd source code under the terms of the
license -- I have no wish to damage Amstrad's reputation in any way.
I'm hoping you can forward my concerns onto the relevant party inside
Amstrad.

The GNU GPL version 2 aims to ensure that recipients of a GPL'd program
in object code or executable form, e.g. E3 purchaser, can obtain the
exact same source code that created the binary files.  The whole license
is available at

    http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

I think the core issue is that Amstrad received the Linux kernel
licensed under the GPL and must therefore follow its conditions in their
distribution of Linux, as stored in the E3.

I believe section 3 of the GPL is the relevant part.  It starts

    3.  You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
    under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms
    of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the
    following:

and the E3 contains a work based on Linux in executable form.

The three choices allowed are

[...]

Complying with (a) would mean the source code is in the box, probably on
a CD, alongside the E3.

(b) would mean there's a written offer in the E3's box to give *any
third party*, not just an E3 purchaser, i.e. me, the source code at
cost.

I don't believe (c) is available to Amstrad since the E3 is a commercial
distribution and I doubt Amstrad received Linux in non-source form from
MontaVista.

Visiting my local Dixons today, and with the help of an assistant who
let me go through a new E3 box, I have the serial number if that's of
help, I found no source code (a), and no written offer (b).  Just a
"This product contains software that is subject to licence terms."
inside the manual's front cover.  Thus I believe Amstrad are violating
the terms of Linux's license in not doing one of 3(a), 3(b), or 3(c).

This is the most apparent violation but I am not a lawyer and I've no
doubt that Amstrad had lawyers and assistance from MontaVista in looking
over the GPL before shipping the E3.  If I'm wrong I'd like to know
Amstrad's interpretation of the license and how they comply and they may
wish to publicise their compliance in order that others don't follow me
in asking.

Otherwise, if Amstrad are violating the GPL then, under section 4, their
rights to distribute the program are terminated, i.e. distributing the
E3 is copyright infringement.

    4.  You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program
    except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt
    otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is
    void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this
    License. However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from
    you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so
    long as such parties remain in full compliance.

I have further minor issues with GPL compliance but section 3 is the
main one.  Others include

    The manual stating "Software (C) Amstrad plc.  1999-2004.  All
    rights reserved.";  clearly some of the software's copyright doesn't
    reside with Amstrad but with Linux's copyright holders.

    Page 155 states

        "You must not copy, de-compile, modify, change, sell, lend,
        sub-license or by other means interfere with or exploit the
        software of the e-m@iler.  Nor must you change the
        factory-installed software in the e-m@iler, except where such
        change is an upgrade or modification version released by
        Amserve."

    but section 3 allows me to copy and distribute the GPL'd binaries I
    received in the E3 as long as I comply with 3(c), i.e. don't charge
    for distribution and accompany it with the written offer I (didn't)
    receive with the E3.  Attempting to restrict my right to do this
    violates GPL section 6.

        6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on
        the Program), the recipient automatically receives a license
        from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the
        Program subject to these terms and conditions. You may not
        impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of
        the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing
        compliance by third parties to this License.

I suspect these arise from taking the Emailer Plus manual and altering
it for the E3 without considering GPL compliance.

One further tricky point to consider is section 3 clarifies

    The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
    making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source
    code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
    associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
    control compilation and installation of the executable.

This means that each time Amstrad alter and distribute the GPL'd
software on the E3, e.g. an improvement to Linux to support wireless LAN
downloaded to the E3 overnight, they must make available the matching
source code, build, and installation scripts.

I'd like to know if Amstrad agree that they're violating the GPL and
what they intend to change to try and follow the spirit of the GPL
despite having already shipped E3s.  As I'm not a copyright holder of
any part of the Linux kernel I obviously have no right to condone any
changes.  I'm merely trying to obtain the source code and see the
license complied with for the good of all Linux licensees, including
Amstrad.

Below are my recent emails with Support.

Thanks,

Ralph Corderoy.

- ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

- ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa1

[Snip duplicate of message 1-6.]

- ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa1--

- ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0--

------- Message 8

From: Brian Eaton <brian.eaton@amstrad.com>
To: "'ralph@inputplus.co.uk'" <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
CC: Amserve Support <support@amserve.ltd.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:50:22 +0100

Dear Mr Corderoy

I refer to the email of 27 Sept that you sent to Sir Alan Sugar. Sir Alan
has asked me to respond.

Please note the following:

We have an obligation to our customers (the recipients of the object code)
to make the source code of the kernel (not the whole of our code) available
to them. You, with respect, are not a customer. Our customer services -
after asking for proof of purchase and registration - will point customers
to a web address where the kernel can be found.

Our position is that
1) You are not one of our customers. We only have obligations to our
customers (the recipients). We do have an obligation to the copyright owners
of Linux, but with respect you are not one of them either.
2) We have told everyone clearly that we are working with MontaVista and
using their Linux.

Yours sincerely

Brian Eaton
E-Business Director
Amstrad Plc

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. This message is attributed to the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Amstrad Plc or its subsidiaries.

For further information on Amstrad Plc please visit our website: www.amstrad.com

Amstrad Plc.
Brentwood House
169 Kings Road
Brentwood
Essex CM14 4EF
Registered in England : No. 955321

------- Message 9

To: Brian Eaton <brian.eaton@amstrad.com>
cc: Amserve Support <support@amserve.ltd.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:06:37 +0100
From: Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>

Dear Mr. Eaton,

> I refer to the email of 27 Sept that you sent to Sir Alan Sugar. Sir
> Alan has asked me to respond.

Thank you.

> Please note the following:
>
> We have an obligation to our customers (the recipients of the object
> code) to make the source code of the kernel (not the whole of our
> code) available to them.

You have an obligation under the GNU GPL to supply your customers, who
are the E3 purchasers and initial recipients of the GPL'd object code,
with either the source code alongside the E3 (3a), or a written offer to
any third party to supply the source code (3b).  From inspection of the
E3's box's contents I believe you're doing neither and hence are in
violation of the GPL.

There is no disagreement that not all of the software on the E3 is
licensed under the GPL.

> You, with respect, are not a customer. Our customer services - after
> asking for proof of purchase and registration - will point customers
> to a web address where the kernel can be found.

No, I'm not a customer.  I'm just someone who's contributing my own free
time to try and help Amstrad comply with the license without it all
snowballing into a situation like the Welte v. Sitecom De*tschland GmbH
case in the Munchen District Court where an injunction on Sitecom was
upheld.

You seem to feel that supplying E3 owners, on proof of purchase, with a
web address where the source can be found meets your obligations under
the GPL.  It doesn't.  You seem to be going for 3(b) of the GPL where
source is made available separately from the object code.  But an
important part of the GPL is that recipients of GPL'd code know it is
GPL'd and what their rights are.  Hence 3(b)'s `written offer' which
informs the E3 owner of their rights and which owners of the E3 can pass
on when copying the E3's GPL'd object code to anyone they wish under
3(c).

Someone who receives the E3's GPL'd binaries along with Amstrad's
written offer, either by purchasing an E3, or by being passed both by
someone who already has them, can take up Amstrad's offer of supplying
the source code *to any third party* despite not owning an E3 or having
its serial number.

Anyone who has the GPL'd source code from Amstrad can, under section 1
of the GPL, make it available, e.g. on the Internet, to all and sundry.
Given this, Amstrad's attempt to seemingly keep it to E3 owners only, or
track distribution by serial number, seems mis-guided.

> Our position is that 1) You are not one of our customers. We only have
> obligations to our customers (the recipients). We do have an
> obligation to the copyright owners of Linux, but with respect you are
> not one of them either.

Despite not being a customer, or a copyright holder, I believe that
Amstrad are failing to comply with the GPL.  If Amstrad continue to fail
to answer the specific points I've made I will take the matter to the
Linux kernel copyright holders by posting the issue on the public Linux
Kernel Mailing List, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org.

> 2) We have told everyone clearly that we are working with MontaVista
> and using their Linux.

I am surprised MontaVista have not advised Amstrad more precisely over
their obligations.  You may wish to consult them again.

Thanks,

Ralph Corderoy.

------- Message 10

From: Brian Eaton <brian.eaton@amstrad.com>
To: "'Ralph Corderoy'" <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:10:08 +0100

Dear Mr Corderoy

------- Message 11

From: Brian Eaton <brian.eaton@amstrad.com>
To: "'Ralph Corderoy'" <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
CC: Amserve Support <support@amserve.ltd.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:46:22 +0100

Dear Mr Corderoy

Any customer who buys one of our videophones will see that our
obligations under the GPL are met and clearly explained to them. If you
were to become a customer it would be clear to you. In the meantime we have
no
obligation to explain to non-customers our policy.

Brian Eaton
E-Business Director
Amstrad Plc

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. This message is attributed to the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Amstrad Plc or its subsidiaries.

For further information on Amstrad Plc please visit our website: www.amstrad.com

Amstrad Plc.
Brentwood House
169 Kings Road
Brentwood
Essex CM14 4EF
Registered in England : No. 955321

------- End of Forwarded Messages

[parent not found: <20020316113536.A19495@hq.fsmlabs.com.suse.lists.linux.kernel>]
* Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-20 19:32 Eric S. Raymond
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-12-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel List

I guess it's a pretty quiet week in kernel-hacker land.  Must be,
otherwise people would have better things to do than argue over KB
vs. KiB.  The alternative would be to conclude that significant
portions of the lkml population prefer flaming to coding, and that
couldn't possibly be the case, could it?

Let me make a couple of things clear:

I am by no means in love with the new abbreviations described at
<http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html>.  I have the same
reflexes as the rest of you -- they kind of make me want to gag.

If there is a clear consensus from lkml, I will be happy to back
out this change.  Perhaps this terminological standard does not
meet a real need, perhaps it will be rejected by most engineers and
deserves to wither on the vine.  It's happened before.

However.  In the *absence* of a clear consensus, I will follow best
practices.  Best practice in editing a technical or standards document
is to (a) avoid ambiguous usages, seek clarity and precision; and (b)
to use, follow and reference international standards.

In fact, the first time David Woodhouse submitted this change, some
months ago, I rejected it.  I have since, reluctantly, concluded
that I was wrong to do so.  So when he re-submitted, I merged in
the patch.

My personal esthetic distaste for the new terminology (gack!  "kibi"
sounds like something I would feed my cat!) is less important
than following best practices.  I'm hoping it will seem less ugly as it
becomes more familiar.

I don't like my duty much in this instance.  But my duty is clear.

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only]
moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence
to the mind.  Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too
violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun,
therefore, be the constant companion to your walks."
        -- Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew.

* Re: [PATCH] tty canonical mode: nicer erase behaviour
@ 2001-09-23 22:12 zefram
From: zefram @ 2001-09-23 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: torvalds

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>Your xterm is not following Linux policy - this is a solved problem in
>Linuxspace. Debian bit the bullet a few years ago and did the neccessary
>deed to make all their terminal emulators and console match.

So Linux policy is to support only terminals that generate ^? for
backspace?  I thought Unix-like systems were supposed to be usable from a
great variety of text terminals.  Debian's policy works when your universe
consists solely of Linux machines configured to Debian specifications,
where your terminals are just the Linux console, xterm and screen,
but it fails to handle glass ttys, or xterms running on other systems.

I recall the reaction when someone proposed changing zsh's line editor
(ZLE) to treat backspace and delete characters differently.  Just among
the developers we have users of a wide variety of terminals, and the
proposed change would have broken the line editor for many of us.
As it is, ZLE just works, with no extra effort, on any text terminal,
and we get no complaints.

>                                                   Original telnet has
>IAC sequences to send a "delete" regardless of keymapping policies that
>are not known at end points.

Yes, it was a nice model, a pity it fell out of use.  Telnet defined a
Network Virtual Terminal, that was intended to be a common terminal type
to be emulated on all Telnet sessions, which would have eliminated the
need for the server to know what terminal type was being used on the
client end.  Of course, the NVT was a product of its time: no cursor
addressing, no display attributes, and on the input side only a single
erase key.  The closest equivalent to this model that is currently in
use is the de facto almost-universal capability to emulate a VT100.

These days telnet connections (and rsh and ssh) are used more as dumb
pipes to talk to the user's actual terminal.  We can't change that,
and the result is that Unix systems have to handle whatever terminal
type the user is using.

-zefram

* Re: [PATCH] tty canonical mode: nicer erase behaviour
@ 2001-09-23 21:26 zefram
From: zefram @ 2001-09-23 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: torvalds

Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@redhat.com> wrote:
>Rubbish. Programs get their erase characters from termios(3).

termios(3) gets its erase character from user setting via stty(1) or
tset(1), neither of which know what character will be generated by the
terminal's main backspace key.  The current situation is that the user
has to manually arrange for the correct setting.  My personal portable
shell setup, for example, contains a script that examines $TERM and sets
the tty erase character accordingly; I've never seen this functionality
available as a standard utility anywhere.

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> One of the long-standing problems preventing Unix from being a
>> user-friendly desktop OS is its handling of erase keys.  There are
>
>Not a kernel space issue

Yes, it's a wider issue, which I wanted to present as background for
the specific change I was proposing.

>                                                      Fix problem apps.

The Linux tty canonical mode is a problem app.  Let's fix it.

Programs that talk to the tty directly, through the tty raw mode or by
any other means, do need to be fixed separately, if they exhibit the
same problem.  The patch I proposed doesn't affect them.

>They do different things, they are different keys.

On some keyboards they are different keys, and in some programs they do
different things.  Both of these are far from universal.

Programs that want to treat backspace and delete keys differently tend
to get it right already.  Under X, for example, the two keys are both
available, and are distinctly and consistently reported to the program;
many X programs implement text editing with both forward and backward
delete.  There is no problem here.

I am concerned, for the moment, with programs that only need one kind of
erase, and that talk to a physical terminal (or a simulation thereof)
via a character-stream interface.  These programs want to invoke their
backspacing erase function whenever the user presses the backspace key,
and they don't care about any other erase-related key.  Linux's tty line
discipline, in canonical mode, is such a program.

Unfortunately, the programs of which I speak can't see what key the
user is pressing, all they can see is the character that the terminal
decides to generate from the keypress.  And terminals are inconsistent
about which character they generate for the backspace key.  Even before
we look at glass ttys, we have the Linux console (with standard setup)
generating ^? for backspace, and xterm generating ^H for backspace.
Shouldn't the tty line editor work by default on these at least?  Among
glass ttys that I've personally used, the ADM3e and KDS7362 generate ^H,
and VT220 and ND120 generate ^?.

So, *for programs that only care about backspace*, by far the best
solution is to treat both ^H and ^? as backspace.  And as I said before,
the Linux tty line discipline is such a program.  Of course, we then have
the issue that the tty is already somewhat configurable in this regard,
though unfortunately not sufficiently to implement this solution.

>Erase character policy is precisely defined by posix.

It is when the IEXTEN bit is not set.  When it is set, the tty is
permitted to accept other non-standard control characters.  For example,
Linux has a WERASE (word erase) character, which is enabled only in
IEXTEN mode.

>Debian set a policy on this a long time back and have done wonders since

This is interesting.  I wasn't aware of their policy before, but I've
examined it now, after Nadav Har'El provided a URL.

Their policy appears to cover more than one related area, in an incomplete
manner.  For programs that need both forward and backward erase, it says,
basically, "programs shall make it work".  With respect to X programs,
the policy makes perfect sense and is just a statement of common sense.
For programs that interact with a tty through a character stream and
don't want to use terminfo, it insists that terminals generate ^? for
backspace, but ignores the cases where this isn't possible.

The Debian policy is a fine example of the original problem -- it shows
the hoops that people have to jump through (non-standard configuration
of xterm) to get a partial solution.

-zefram

[parent not found: <mailman.1001266380.13783.linux-kernel2news@redhat.com>]
* Problem with i810 chipset
@ 2001-09-10  5:05 Steve Kieu
From: Steve Kieu @ 2001-09-10  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel

Hi,

Finally I can report that problem after many testings.

System: i810 graphic chipset, intel celeron 400Mhz;
128 Mb ram. Lucent software modem using lt-modem
driver version 5-99b

Linux: 2.4.9 ... together all ac series with new dri
module for XFree 4.1.0

XFree86 4.1.0 (slackware)

Problem description: system lockup when exitting
XFree86 when the internet connection is active.

How to reproduce:

connect to the internet using pppd. Do not disconnect.

then logout gnome or shuttdown/reboot the computer
using halt/reboot. usually I will get the text console
; but now I dont. no keys work ; no hard disk
activity, can not power off using computer button,
have to unplug the power cord.

If I disconnect ppp0 before logout gnome / or
halt/reboot, it doesn't happen.

If I compile the kernel but not choosing build new
modules for xfree 4.1.0 ; choose the old one (in ac
series), no problem at all

More infomation on request.

=====
S.KIEU

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
- Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!

* Request for comment -- a better attribution system
@ 2001-04-21 15:49 Eric S. Raymond
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-04-21 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CML2, kbuild-devel

This is a proposal for an attribution metadata system in the Linux kernel
sources.  The goal of the system is to make it easy for people reading
any given piece of code to identify the responsible maintainer.  The motivation
for this proposal is that the present system, a single top-level MAINTAINERS
file, doesn't seem to be scaling well.

In this system, most files will contain a "map block".  A map block is a
metadata section embedded in a comment near the beginning of the file.
Here is an example map block for my kxref.py tool:

# %Map
# T: CONFIG_ namespace cross-reference generator/analyzer
# P: Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com>
# M: esr@thyrsus.com
# L: kbuild-devel@kbuild.sourceforge.net
# W: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2
# D: Sat Apr 21 11:41:52 EDT 2001
# S: Maintained

And here's what a map block should look like in general:

%Map:
T: Description of this unit for map purposes
P: Person
M: Mail patches to
L: Mailing list that is relevant to this area
W: Web-page with status/info
C: Controlling configuration symbol
D: Date this meta-info was last updated
S: Status, one of the following:

	Supported:	Someone is actually paid to look after this.
	Maintained:	Someone actually looks after it.
	Odd Fixes:	It has a maintainer but they don't have time to do
			much other than throw the odd patch in. See below..
	Orphan:		No current maintainer [but maybe you could take the
			role as you write your new code].
	Obsolete:	Old code. Something tagged obsolete generally means
			it has been replaced by a better system and you
			should be using that.

There may be more than one P: field per map block.  There should be exactly one
M: field.

The D: field may have the special value `None' meaining that this map block
was translated from old information which has not yet been confirmed with the
responsible maintainer.

Note that this is the same set of conventions presently used in the
MAINTAINERS file, with only the T:, D:, and C: fields being new.  The
contents of the C: field, if present, should be the name of the
CONFIG_ symbol that controls the inclusion of this unit in a kernel.

(Map blocks are terminated by a blank line.)

Not every file need contain a map block.  To locate the responsible maintainer
for a file, use the following algorithm:

1. Look for a map block in the file itself.

2. Look for a file named %Map in the enclosing directory.
   Any map block in that file applies to the entire directory.

3. Look for a map block in the enclosing directory's README.
   Any map block in that file applies to the entire directory.

4. If you are at the root of the source tree, give up.
   Otherwise, move to the parent directory and goto step 2.

If this proposal meets with approval, I am willing to do three things:

1. Generate a patch to distribute the information presently in the
   MAINTAINERS file into map blocks and %Map files.

2. Write a tool for querying the map database.

3. (Background task, with which I would expect help) Chase down more
   map entries and verify information in old entries.

Thanks to Andreas Dilger for suggesting the basic idea.

Comments are solicited.

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme
Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the
fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.
	-- Thomas Jefferson, 1823

* Linux 2.4.3-ac7
@ 2001-04-16 12:27 Alan Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-04-16 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

	ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.4/

		Intermediate diffs are available from

			http://www.bzimage.org

VIA users should test this kernel carefully. It has what are supposed to be
the right fixes for the VIA hardware bugs. Obviously the right fixes are not
as tested as the deduced ones.

2.4.3-ac7
o	Updated VIA quirk handling for the chipset	(Andre Hedrick,
	flaws						 George Breese)
	| Experimental version removed
	| VIA users should check this kernel -carefully-!!!!
o	Remove KT7 dma kill				(me)
	| See above note
o	Merge Linus 2.4.4pre3
o	Fix winchip1 oops in mtrr from previous change	(me)
o	Add winchip3 support to mtrr/oostore		(me)
o	Fix the Zoran driver build			(me)
	| This is still not up to date with the master copy
	| that is intentional - first things first.
o	Fix CONFIG_WINCHIP kernel crash on cpu with	(me)
	fxsave
o	Fix UML options help bug			(Jeff Dike)
o	Fix pte corruption in user mode linux		(Jeff Dike)
o	Fix gdb and terminal initialisation in UML	(Jeff Dike)
o	UML code cleanup				(Jeff Dike)
o	Fix saved register corruption in UML		(Jeff Dike)
o	Add pci_disable_device				(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix a slight bug in the parport help		(Tim Waugh)
o	Hopefully fix the sb1000 driver irq support	(James Anderson)
o	Fix missing signal lock in keventd		(Manfred Spraul)
o	Fix module build with io debugging on		(Markus Kossmann)
o	Fix dcache flag atomicty			(Al Viro)
o	Make cs4281 use pci_set_dma_mask, clean up 	(Jeff Garzik)
	wrappers
o	Use pci_set_dma_mask on maestro3		(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix 3270 driver build bug 			(Dick Hitt)
o	Fix accidental sb driver bug revert		(Jeff Garzik)
o	Clean up PCI dependancies in sound drivers	(Jeff Garzik)
o	Update synclink driver				(Paul Fulghum)
o	rtl8139 driver update				(Jeff Garzik)
o	Update ps/2 esdi fixes to correct DMA access	(Hal Duston)
o	More aha1542 code marked __init			(Matthias Hanisch)
o	More random.c code marked __init		(Matthias Hanisch)

2.4.3-ac6
o	Remove tables.h include from fatfs_syms		(OGAWA Hirofumi)
o	Update UML					(Jeff Dike)
o	Protect more __KERNEL__ only stuff from 	(Phil Copeland)
	asm-alpha/io.h
o	Fix sound/Config.in bug with ARM		(Russell King)
o	Update network drivers for ARM bits		(Russell King)
	| 8390, pcnet_cs, tulip
o	Fix umount cleanups				(Al Viro)
o	Merge aic7xxx driver 6.11			(Justin Gibbs)
o	Added support for the pentium machine check	(me)
	| Also including thermal check
o	Add support for the winchip machine check	(me)
o	Fix mtrr support of the WinChip2		(me)
	| Existing code set uncachable not write gathering on winchip2
o	Support weak ordering mode on winchip cpus	(me)

2.4.3-ac5
o	Merge Linus 2.4.4pre1
o	New rwsem implementation			(David Howells)
o	Fix rwsem compile problem			(me)
o	Fix bust_spinlocks build fail if !CONFIG_VT	(me)
o	Merge Linus 2.4.4pre2 except for ipv6
o	Fix the corner case non zeroing bug in 		(me)
	copy_from_user for x86

2.4.3-ac4
o	Fix corruption case in ext2 inode handling	(Ingo Molnar, Al Viro)
o	Merge user mode linux port			(Jeff Dike)
o	Remove some surplus ifdefs from init/main.c	(me)
o	Update nwfpe					(Russell King)
o	Fix ps2esdi driver				(Hal Duston)
o	Update ARM documentation			(Russell King)
o	Update Symbios 53c8xx driver			(Gérard Roudier)
o	ARM frame buffer update				(Russell King)
o	Update ARM bootstrap code			(Russell King)
o	Eicon driver fix				(Armin Schindler)
o	Update S/390 Documentation			(Utz Bacher, Carsten
o	Update S/390 math emulation			 Otte, Holger Smolinski
o	S/390 tape driver				 Martin Schwidefsky
o	PAGEX support for Linux/390 under VM		 and probably others)
o	General S/390 fixes
o	Update S/390 tty drivers
o	Update S/390 irq handling
o	Update S/390 channel driver
o	Update S/390 include files
o	Update S/390 networking drivers
o	Update S/390 DASD drivers
o	Update S/390 mm to match generic mm changes
o	Update S/390 makefiles
o	Catch another subspecies of misidentifying CD	(Bob Mende Pie)
o	Fix bluesmoke formatting			(Solar Designer)
o	Fix rx error handling in rtl8139		(Jeff Garzik)
o	Update paths to e2fsprogs			(Steven Cole)
o	Fix proc alloc map locking			(Tom Leete)
o	Console blanking fix (continued..)		(Mikael Pettersson)
o	ARM tools update				(Russell King)
o	Update ARM includes				(Russell King)
o	Update ARM sound drivers			(Russell King)
o	Update the shark ARM support			(Alexander Schulz)
o	Update SA1100 support				(Russell King,
							 Nicolas Pitre)
o	Update ARM make and config files		(Russell King)
o	Update ARM mm/fault handling			(Russell King)
o	Update ARM network driver config		(Russell King)
o	Misc ARM updates				(Russell King)
o	Update ARM footbridge code			(Russell King)
o	EBSA ISA bus fixups				(Russell King)
o	Fix agp copy_from_user bug			(Dawson Engler)
o	Correct devfs docs on /dev/sg			(Herbert Xu)
o	/dev/sg doc update 				(Douglas Gilbert)

2.4.3-ac3
o	Fix console unblank from suspend bug		(Mikael Pettersson)
o	Fix unmap_buffer() race				(Al Viro)
o	Add a proper dmi blacklist			(me)
o	Fix alpha build for new mm changes		(Ivan Kokshaysky)
o	Resync setup-bus.c to pick up Alpha Noritake	(Ivan Kokshaysky)
	fixes
o	Fix swap accounting for major faults		(Marcelo Tosatti)
o	Add some bigendian support and voodoo5 support	(Ani Joshi)
	to tdfxfb
o	Fix failing build with CONFIG_VT=n		(Jason McMullan)
o	Fix some corner cases in iso9660 support	(Andreas Eckleder)
	for symlinks and XA attriubtes
o	Fix NTFS and quota sparc build problems on -ac	(Steve Ralston)
o	Resync to the Linus serial.c + B9600 fix	(me)
o	Avoid nasties with OHCI controller gets no IRQ	(Arjan van de Ven)
	assigned
o	Pull problem lance change			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix SMP lockup in usbdevfs			(Tony Hoyle)
o	Firestream atm update			(Patrick van de Lageweg)

2.4.3-ac2
o	Add the VIA C3 to the mtrr/setup code		(Dave Jones)
o	Report PAE mode oopses better			(Ingo Molnar)
o	Fix zap_low_mappings on PAE			(Hugh Dickins)
o	Tidy up parport resource handling, fix bug	(Tim Waugh)
o	Add series 6 backpack driver support		(Tim Waugh)
o	Make lockd use daemonize()			(Paul Mundt)
o	Fix aicasm to specify -I flags needed on some	(Mads Jørgensen)
	distributions
o	Add docbook manual on bus independant I/O	(Matthew Wilcox)
	| + a few additional notes I added
o	Make the VIA superIO driver honour the		(Tim Waugh)
	irq/dma settings passed
o	Update mpt fusion drivers			(Steve Ralston)
o	Add reiserfs maintainer entries			(Steven Cole)
o	Experimental driver for communcation class USB	(Brad Hards)
	| eg Broadcom and Ericsson USB cable modems
o	I2O updates, report SMART errors on i2o_block	(Boji Kannanthanam)
o	Fix shm locking, races on swapping, accounting	(Stephen Tweedie)
	and swapout of already mapped pages
o	Clean up REPORTING-BUGS				(Steven Cole)
o	Fix ACM handling of CLOCAL			(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Fix sparc64 module_map/vfree bug		(Hugh Dickins)
o	Fix scsi race on requeued requests		(Mark Hemment)
o	Tulip driver update				(Jeff Garzik)
o	Update bmac and gmac driver			(Cort Dougan)
o	Winbond w9966cf webcam parport driver		(Jakob Kemi)

2.4.3-ac1
o	Merge Linus 2.4.3 final, diff versus 2.4.3	(me)

2.4.2-ac28
o	Fix another modules race			(me)
o	Add basic PM hooks to agpgart			(me)
o	Update new xircom_cb driver			(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Fix missing lock_kernel on truncate path	(Al Viro)
o	Update klsi usb ethernet ids			(Brad Hards)
o	Fix missing permission check in shm code	(Matthew Klahn)
o	Add extra doupdate() calls to menuconfig	(Moritz Schulte)
o	Update wireless extensions			(Jean Tourrilhes)
o	Fix cdda reading problem			(Jens Axboe)
o	Fix potential oops in usb-uhci			(David Brownell)

2.4.2-ac27
o	Rely on BIOS to setup apic bits on OSB4		(me)
o	Disable events when unloading cardbus yenta	(me)
	| Fixes shared irq unload hang
o	Fix x86 IPI replay problems			(Stephen Tweedie)
o	Add ALS100 gameport support			(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Fix wrong path in comment in vesafb		(Andres Salomon)
o	Allow slab caches to force alignment always	(Ingo Molnar)
	and thus fix PAE+ slab poisoning
o	Fix problems in faulting raw I/O pages		(Stephen Tweedie)
o	Fix rawio error handling for raw I/O		(Stephen Tweedie)
	| + other oddments
o	Change default max printer ports to 8		(Tim Waugh)
o	Parport soft control state fixes		(Tim Waugh)
o	Fix cpu info compile				(Constantine Gavrilov)
o	Set warning levels on reiserfs warn etc		(Paul Mundt)
o	Fix duplicate IOVIRT debug config help		(Steven Cole)
o	Revert mmap change that broke assumptions (and	(Martin Diehl)
	it seems SuS)
o	Clean up fpu emu warnings on gcc 3.0cvs a bit	(me)

2.4.2-ac26
o	Fix es1370 build bug				(me)
o	Fix sbpcd compile warnings			(me)
o	Update usbnet driver				(Oleg Drokin)
o	Update Alpha to pre8 vm changes			(Ivan Kokshaysky)
o	Fix radeonfb config selections			(Chris Lawrence)
o	Fix vmalloc mismerge				(Various)
o	Fix n_r3964 console panic			(Andrew Morton)
o	Update ibm camera drivers
o	Support 701b toshoboe fir
o	New xircom_cb driver		(Arjan van de Ven, Jeff Garzik,
					 Don Becker, Doug Ledford)
o	Fix procfs mount point for binfmt_misc		(Al Viro)
o	Update hpt366 ide blacklist
o	Further ide blacklist updates
o	Smooth vm balancing				(Marcelo Tosatti)
o	Fix irda assert					(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Keep contrack cache sizes sane			(Ben LaHaise)
o	Fix possible file truncate/write race		(Ben LaHaise)
o	Make bootmem panic sanely on out of memory	(Ben LaHaise)
o	Fix unload crash in pci_socket			(me)
o	Revert previous wrong bootmem change		(Ben LaHaise)

2.4.2-ac25
o	Handle PCI/ISA simple MP tables via ELCR	(John William)
o	Fix get_sb_single				(Al Viro)
o	Update es1370, es1371,esssolo			(Thomas Sailer,
							 Tjeerd Mulder,
							 Nathanial Daw)
o	Update orinoco_cs				(Jean Tourilhes)
o	Fix races found in the new kbd/console code	(Andrew Morton)
o	Remove dead timer.h docs			(Tim Wright)
o	Update ppc to new generic mm changes		(Paul Mackerras)
o	Clean up mdacon					(Paul Gortmaker)
o	Remove duplicate configure.help texts		(Steven Cole)
o	Fix symbol export for shm_file_open		(Keith Owens)
o	First batch of pointer reference bug fixes	(Andrew Morton)
	from Stanford report
o	Fix de4x5 oops on Alpha XP1000			(George France)
o	Chipsfb update					(Paul Mackerras)
o	Fix higmem block_prepare_write crash		(Stephen Tweedie)
o	Bring PAE36 back up to date, handle x86 errata	(Ingo Molnar)
o	Fix ov511 crash if opened while loading		(Pete Zaitcev)
o	Merge Linus 2.4.3pre8
o	Update Advansys scsi driver			(Bob Frey)

2.4.2-ac24
o	Fix build bug with tsc in ac23			(me)
o	Update contact info for Phil Blundell		(Phil Blundell)
o	Update mm locking comments/rss locking		(Andrew Morton)
o	Update toshiba SMM driver			(Jonathan Buzzard)
o	Update old adaptec driver to 5.2.4		(Doug Ledford)
o	CS46xx updates					(Tom Woller)
o	Quieten input layer printks a bit		(me)
o	Turn off APIC_DEBUG by default to cut noise down(me)
o	Add Orinoco PCMCIA wireless support		(David Gibson)
o	Go back to 2.4.3pre6 tulip			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix double accounting of cpu time bug		(Kevin Buhr)
o	Drop ppp patch					(me)

2.4.2-ac23
o	Fix a nasty shared memory locking bug		(Stephen Tweedie)
o	Fix off by one bootmem memory corruptor		(Ben LaHaise)
o	Fix avmb1 oops on init				(Carsten Paeth)
o	Fix isdn makefile bugs				(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Clean up isdn minor checks			(Julien Gaulmin)
o	Workaround PPP CCP negotiation bugs		(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Fix timer handling bug in ISDN			(Henk-Jan Slotboom)
o	Fix i386 #ifdef bug with notsc disable		(Anton Blanchard)
o	Fix NMI docs					(Keith Owens)
o	Fix oops on out of memory in proc_symlink	(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix oops caused by devfs changes to soundcore	(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix rmmod crash on sundance alta		(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix potential crash in nsc-ircc.c		(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix memory leak in i810 audio			(Doug Ledford)
o	Fix several compile warnings with gcc 3.0 cvs	(J Magallon)
o	Mark 60Hz modes in mac fb modes 		(Geert Uytterhoeven)
o	Chkconfig and ver_linux updates			(Niels Jensen)
o	Fix ctrlfb dac timing				(Takashi Oe)
o	Add vesa powerdown support for ctrlfb		(Takashi Oe)
o	Back out problem via bridge change		(me)
o	Fix bug in aironet4500_cs changes		(Arjan van de Ven)

2.4.2-ac22
o	Fix dereference after free in megaraid driver	(me)
o	Fix crash if we run out of memory during a link	(me)
	follow [found by Stanford tools]
o	Fix crash if we run out of memory during
	block_truncate_page [found by Stanford tools]	(me)
o	Update Alpha to pre6 style pte/pmd_alloc	(Ivan Kokshaysky)
o	Fix ppp memory corruption			(Kevin Buhr)
	| Bizzarely enough a direct re-invention of a 1.2 ppp bug
o	Fix heavy stack usage in tty_foo_devfs()	(Jeff Dike)
o	Make alloc_tty_struct always use kmalloc	(Andrew Morton)
o	Document task struct locking rules		(Andrew Morton)
o	Document SAK properly				(Andrew Morton)
o	Fix SAK deadlocks				(Andrew Morton)
o	Fix inline/type order for picky compiler tools	(Dave Jones)
o	Fix printk levels for various fs printks that	(Andrey Panin)
	lacked them
o	Next incarnation of the i810 audio driver	(Doug Ledford)
o	Add __init stuff to 3c515 driver	(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Add __init stuff to ppp layer		(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Remove duplicate NF_TARGET_TCPMSS config text	(Steven Cole)
o	Fix missing unlock_kernel in pcwd		(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix missing unlock_kernels in es1371		(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix missing unlock_kernels in es1370		(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix missing unlock_kernels in esssolo1		(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix missing unlock kernels in sonicvibes	(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix missing unlock kernels in fb mmap		(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools
o	Fix missing unlock_super in UFS code		(me)
	| Found by Stanford tools

2.4.2-ac21
o	Merge with Linus 2.4.3pre6
o	Close last known reiserfs tail bug		(Chris Mason)
o	Fix link order bug with iso8859_8 and cp1255	(Dan Aloni)
o	Generate generic CPU namings for 386/486	(Cesar Eduardo Barros)
o	First set of ISDN fixes from Stanford code	(Kai Germaschewski)
	analyser
o	Allow up to 16 parallel ports by default	(Tim Waugh)
o	Use long delays on low speed usb hub ports	(Pete Zaitcev)
o	Update credits for assorted Australians		(Stephen Rothwell)
o	Fix ali_restore_regs thinko			(Pavel Roskin)
o	Fix whiteheat usb driver bugs			(Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o	Fix kfree in belkin_sa				(Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o	Fix omninet copy*user bug			(Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o	Fix modular atyfb				(Geert Uytterhoeven)
o	Update joystick and input drivers		(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Relax checksum enforcement on ISAPnP CSN	(Gunther Mayer)
o	Resync ids/comments with ISDN cvs		(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Update Harald Hoyer Credits entry		(Harald Hoyer)
o	Fix off by 2* mtrr handling bug			(David Wragg)
o	Fix irda hang on boot				(Dag Brattli)
o	FB device init updates				(Geert Uytterhoeven)
o	Add it8712 misp eval board support		(P. Popov)
o	Update NEC DDB5476 eval board support		(Jun Sun)
o	Update NEC DDB5074 eval board support		(Ralf Baechle)
o	Add Karsten Merker and Michael Engel to credits	(Ralf Baechle)
o	Update Baget port				(Vladimir Roganov,
							 Gleb Raiko)
o	Add LVM ioctls to sparc64 ioctl32 convertor	(Patrick Caulfield)
o	Powerpc updates for openfirmware mm, python etc	(Cort Dougan)
o	Add the casio qv digitalcamera to the usb
	unusual devices list				(Harald Schreiber)
o	atyfb mode updates for powermac			(Olaf Hering)
o	Fix khubd locking				(Pete Zaitcev)
o	More on the great aic7xxx libdb game		(Nathan Dabney)
o	Further console handling updates		(Andrew Morton)
o	Fix i2o build problem when half modular		(Michael Mueller)
o	Fix off by one in prink <foo> check		(Mitchell Blank Jr)
o	Fix do_swap_page hang				(Linus Torvalds)

2.4.2-ac20
o	Add support for the GoHubs GO-COM232		(Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o	Remove cobalt remnants				(Ralf Baechle)
o	First block of mm documentation			(Rik van Riel)
o	Replace ancient Zoran driver with new one	(Serguei Miridonov,
				Wolfgang Scherr, Rainer Johanni, Dave Perks)
o	Fix Alpha build					(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix K7 mtrr breakage				(Dave Jones)
o	Fix pcnet32 touching resources before enable	(Dave Jones)
o	Merge with Linus 2.4.3pre4

2.4.2-ac19
o	Typo fixes					(David Weinehall)
o	Merge first block of OHCI non x86 support	(Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o	Add Edgeport USB serial support			(David Iacovelli,
							 Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o	Fix doorlock on scsi removables			(Alex Davies)
o	Fix hang when usb storage thread died		(me)
o	Change watchdog disable setup			(Ingo Molnar)
o	Fix bluetooth close and error bugs		(Narayan Mohanram)
o	mpt now has an assigned minor			(me)
	| Remember to fix your /dev/mptctl if using MPT
o	Clean up 3270 ifdefs/printk a little		(me)
o	Fix NBD deadlocks and update it 		(Steve Whitehouse)
o	Fix sercon printk divide by zero bug		(Roger Gammans)
o	Remove cosine support from MIPS tree		(Ralf Baechle)
o	bust_spinlocks for Alpha			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Hopefully fix the buslogic corruptions		(me)
	| This is a 'test if they went away' release not a 'its fixed' one.
o	Some mips makefile fixes			(Ralf Baechle)
	| except mips/kernel/Makefile (I got .rej Ralf)
o	ARC firmware interface fixes			(Harald Koerfgen)
o	DECstation console drivers			(Michael Engel,
							 Karsten Merker,
							 Harald Koerfgen)
o	Fix ipx build bug				(Anton Altaparmakov)
o	Fix ptrace race 				(Stephen Tweedie)
o	Update include/config.h stuff, ver_linux	(Niels Jensen)
o	Add missing pci_enable_device to cs4281		(Marcus Meissner,
							 Thomas Woller)
o	Fix non PPC build of clgenfb			(Andrew Morton)
o	Update CPU docs					(Dave Jones)
o	Add mips atlas/malta reference boards		(Carsten Langgaard)
o	Add gt91600 ethernet support			(SteveL)
o	Add philips SAA9730 ethernet			(Carsten Langgaard)
o	PCnet32 driver fixes				(Carsten Langgaard)
o	MIPS fpu emulator	(Algorithmics, Ralf Baechle, Kevin Kissell,
			Carsten Langgaard, Harald Koerfgen, Maciej Rozycki)
o	mips network driver updates			(Ralf Baechle)
o	Fix FC920 workarounds in i2o			(me)
o	Fix i2o_block hang on exit, 0 event race	(me)
o	FIx i2o_core thread kill wakeup race		(me)
o	Backport 2.2 VIA 686a clock reset workaround	(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Further documentation updates			(Matthew Wilcox)

2.4.2-ac18
o	Debian has another location for db3		(Marc Volovic)
o	Remove duplicated flush_tlb_page export on 	(Elliot Lee)
	Alpha
o	Fix SB Live! build on SMP Alpha			(Elliot Lee)
o	Fix disk corruption on qlogicisp and qlogicpti	(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Fix reporting of >4Gig of swap			(Hugh Dickins)
o	Fix sign issues in mpt fusion			(Andrew Morton)
o	CMS minidisk file system (read only)		(Rick Troth)
			2.4 port			(me)
o	Disable nmi watchdog by default			(Andrew Morton)
o	Fix elsa_cs eject problems			(Klaus Lichtenwalder)
o	Remove duplicate config entries			(Steven Cole)
o	Fix further wrong license references	(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Add nmi watchdog disable for sysrq		(Andrew Morton)
o	Experimental test for serverworks/intel AGP	(me)
	comptability
o	Fix ipx reference counting for routes		(Arnaldo Carvalho
							 de Melo)

2.4.2-ac17
o	Make the aic7xxx code handle multiple db3 paths	(me)
o	Small further via updates			(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	IDE tape updates for Onstream tape drives	(Marcel Mol)
o	Remove some bits of module.c that cant get	(Keith Owens
	executed					 Andrew Morton)
o	Configure.help fixups				(Steven Cole)
o	Add Cyrix MTRR data				(Dave Jones)
o	Fix a slight bogon in the i386 Makefile		(Dave Jones)
o	Kill an escaped modversions.h			(Keith Owens)
o	Further controlfb fixes				(Takashi Oe)
o	Fix console driver oops	in new locking		(Andrew Morton)
o	Add 'broken-psr' so you can command line tell	(Neale Banks)
	APM your BIOS is crap
o	Fix serial console 				(Dave Jones)
o	Fix megaraid kernel_version string		(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Fix off by one error in cpia			(Andrew Morton)
o	Fix lost dmfe typo fix				(Torsten Duwe)
o	Take kernel_lock for i_truncate method in 	(Al Viro)
	vmtruncate
o	Fix i2c sign check bug				(Andrew Morton)

2.4.2-ac16
o	Uniprocessor APIC fixes for misdetect		(Mikael Pettersso)
o	Small ymf_pci fixes/updates			(Pete Zaitcev)
o	Fix break support on sx serial			(Rogier Wolff)
o	Kill another dead config.in entry		(Steven Cole)
o	Add bust spinlocks logic to S/390		(Neale Ferguson)
o	Fix ramdisk buffer only page bug		(Philipp Rumpf)
o	Mark ips scsi experimental until IBM ship a 	(Adam Lackorzynski)
	proper 2.4 driver
o	Update lanstreamer to use module_init and more	(Mike Sullivan)
o	Switch to the updated irda fixes		(Jean Tourrilhes)
o	Vaio kaweth ethernet apparently has its own id	(Sven Anders)
o	d_validate clean ups 				(Petr Vandrovec)
o	Network further fixes from DaveM and co		(Dave Miller
	| This might fix the reported masuqerade crashes Alexey Kuznetsov
							 Werner Almesberger)
o	Acenic updates					(Jes Sorensen)

2.4.2-ac15
o	Add CyrixIII specific kernel configuration	(me)
	| Note there are CyrixIII problems with some distribution installers
	| because -m686 gcc output will not run on a model 6 cpu with no
	| cmov.
o	Fix aic Makefile for older gnu make		(Keith Owens)
o	Assorted i2o updates/partition handling fixes	(Boji Kannanthanam)
o	Fix dcache problems with ncpfs			(Petr Vandrovec)
o	Update via drivers to 3.22			(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Account for packet bytes on lmc driver		(Ernst Lehmann)
o	Atyfb rearrange					(Geert Uytterhoeven)
o	Fix sedlbauer_cs build bug add elsa_cs		(Than Ngo)
	| 			elsa_cs driver by	(Klaus Lichtenwalder)
o	Add support for the Fuji FinePix 1400Zoon	(Nate)
o	EISA initialisation changes for 3c59x		(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Assorted small net protocol updates		(Dave Miller)
o	Fix dvd physical read bug			(Jens Axboe)
o	Fix ATM hang on SMP 				(Mike Westall)
	| more work left to do on atm_ioctl for someone
o	Changed get_addr and friends to atm_get_addr	(me)
o	Merge Linus 2.4.3pre3
o	Fix do_BUG for both cases this time		(me)
o	Fix prefetch for Athlon build
o	Fix an lvm oops case				(Pete Zaitcev)
o	Remove dead config.in entry			(Steven Cole)
o	Update reiserfs recommended tool revision	(Steven Cole)
o	Kill a few warnings				(Keith Owens)

2.4.2-ac14
o	Fix the non build problem with do_BUG		(Andrew Morton)
o	Fix interface autocreation bug in ipx		(Arnaldo Carvalho
	Also fix pprop routing bugs, tctrl handling	 de Melo)
	Fix wrong comments, fix ipx sysctl handling
	clean up code
o	Updated i810_audio.c 				(Doug Ledford)
o	Fix up printer status readback			(Tim Waugh)
o	Add support for "ide=nodma" on command line	(Arjan van de Ven)
o	More spelling fixes				(Dag Wieers)
o	Add pci vendor table to lanstreamer		(Mike Sullivan)
o	Do extra sanity checks on ext2 mount		(Andreas Dilger)
o	Multithreaded core dump handling		(Don Dugger)
	| This is fairly experimental so the more eyes
	| the better but it does sort out a very annoying weakness
o	Prefetch on lists for parisc and x86		(Arjan Van de Ven,
	| Work about 4% on scheduler performance on PIII Matthew Wilcox)
o	Natsemi power management changes		(Tjeerd Mulder)
o	Fix assorted smb bugs				(Urban Widmark)
o	Fix a sisfb build problem			(Andrew Morton)

2.4.2-ac13
o	Clean up mad16 detection stuff			(Pavel Rabel)
o	Fix epca unload					(Andrey Panin)
o	Change null apic handling			(Maciej Rozycki)
o	aicasm now uses db3				(Sergey Kubushin)
o	Fix aic7xxx cross compile			(Cort Dougan)
o	Merge small net driver fixups/config fixes	(Jeff Garzik)
o	Update symbios drivers				(Gérard Roudier)
o	Rusty has moved					(Rusty Russell)
o	3c509/3c515 compile fixes			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Console locking updates - should fix vesafb	(Andrew Morton)
	clock problems
o	Merge the serial.c 5.0.5 update			(Jeff Garzik,
							Ted Ts'o)
o	Merge SiS framebuffer updates			(Can-Ru Yeou)
o	Update ctrlfb					(Takashi Oe,
							 Michel Lanners)
o	Add epson 640U scanner to the usb scanner list	(Patrick Dreker)

2.4.2-ac12
o	Move the pci_enable_device for cardbus		(David Hinds)
o	Add Sony MSC-U01N to the unusual devices	(Marcel Holtmann)
o	Final smc-mca fixups - should now work		(James Bottomley)
o	Document kernel string/mem* functions		(Matthew Wilcox)
	| and I added a memcpy warning
o	Update VIA IDE driver to 3.21			(Vojtech Pavlik)
	|No UDMA66 on 82c686, fix /proc and udma on
	|686b, fix dma disables
o	Allow sleeping in ctrl-alt-del callbacks	(Andrew Morton)
	|Fix i2o, dac960, watchdog, gdth hangs on exit
o	Fix binfmt_misc (and make the proc handling	(Al Viro)
	|a filesystem -
	|mount -t binfmt_misc none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
o	Update the ACI support for sound/radio stuff	(Robert Siemer)
o	Add RDS support to miroRadio			(Robert Siemer)
o	Remove serverworks handling. The BIOS is our	(me)
	best (and right now only) hope for that chip
o	Tune the vm behavioru a bit more		(Mike Galbraith)
o	Update PAS16 documentation			(Thomas Molina)
o	Reiserfs tools recommended are now 0d not 0b	(Steven Cole)
o	Wan driver small fixes				(Jeff Garzik)
o	Net driver fixes for 3c503, 3c509, 3c515,	(Jeff Garzik)
	8139too, de4x5, defxx, dgrs, dmfe, eth16i,
	ewrk3, natsemi, ni5010, pci-skeleton, rcpci45,
	sis900, sk_g16, smc-ultra, sundance, tlan,
	via-rhine, winbond-840, yellowfin, wavelan_cs
	tms380tr
o	Trim 3K off the aha1542 driver size	(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Trim 1K off qlogicfas			(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Fix openfirmware/mm boot on ppc			(Cort Dougan)
o	Fix topdir handling in Makefile			(Keith Owens)
o	Minor fusion driver updates			(Steve Ralston)
o	Merge Etrax cris updates			(Bjorn Wesen)
o	Clgen fb copyright update			(Jeff Garzik)
o	AGP linkage fix					(Jeff Garzik)
o	Update visor driver to work with minijam	(Arnim Laeuger)
o	Fix a usb devio return code			(Dan Streetman)
o	Resync a few other net device changes with the
	submits Jeff sent to Linus			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Add missing md export symbol			(Mohammad Haque)

2.4.2-ac11
o	Fix NLS Config.in				(David Weinehall)
o	Sort out one escaped revert from the megaraid	(me)
	update
o	Resync with Linux 2.4.3pre1
	| Except tulip the network driver changes have
	| been used to replace the existing ones
o	Fix parport case where a reader could get stuck	(Tim Waugh)
o	Add ALi15x3 to the list of isa dma hangs	(Angelo Di Filippo)
o	Fix nasty bug in IPX routing of netbios frames	(Arnaldo Carvalho
							 de Melo)
o	Misc code cleanups				(Keith Owens)
o	Updated 3c527 driver				(Richard Proctor)
o	Further tulip updates				(Jeff Garzik)
o	i810_rng fixes (FIPS test, regions)		(Jeff Garzik)
o	Further cs89x0 cleanups				(Andrew Morton)
o	Further USB hub updates				(Dave Brownell)
o	Mall USB resource cleanup			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Resync hp100 changes from Jeff Garzik		(Jeff Garzik)
o	PCI documentation update			(Tim Waugh)
o	Fix irda crash					(Jean Tourrilhes)
o	PPC updates					(Cort Dougan)
o	Resync dmfe, hamachi, pci-skeleton and winbond	(Jeff Garzik)

2.4.2-ac10
o	Add ZF-Logic watchdog driver			(Fernando Fuganti)
o	Add devfs support to USB printers		(Mark McClelland)
o	Fix baud rate handling on keyspan		(Paul Mackerras)
o	USB documentation update			(Dave Brownell)
o	Fix disconnect leak				(Randy Dunlap)
o	ARM constants/fixes				(Russell King)
o	Includes for integrator ARM architecture	(Russell King)
o	Update NLS descriptions to be clearer		(Pablo Saratxaga)
o	Add iso-8859-13 (latvian/lithuanian)		(Pablo Saratxaga)
	iso-8859-4, cp1251 (windows cyrillic), cp1255
	(windows hebrew), and some alises
o	Merge 1.14 Megaraid driver			(Venkatesh Ramamurthy)
o	Reapply other fixes this version dropped	(me)
o	Reformat and clean up ifdefs in 1.14 Megaraid	(me)
o	I/O apic locking fixes				(Maciej Rozycki)
o	Print ioapic id to help debugging		(Maciej Rozycki)
o	Make the tpqic driver work			(Hugh Dickins)
o	USB scanner updates				(David Nelson)
o	Fix usbdevfs multimount				(Al Viro)
o	Fix wrong calculation of path buffer size	(Hugh Dickins)
o	cs89x0 allocated far too much memory		(Hugh Dickins)

2.4.2-ac9
o	misc device fix (ps/2 and drm are now back)	(Tachino Nobuhiro)
	| Believe it or not my main test box used no misc
	| device files..
o	Radeon build without 8bit			(Cha Young-Ho)
o	Fix oops in scc driver				(Andrew Morton)
o	Add __setup for ISAPnP, update docs		(Jaroslav Kysela)
o	Update E820 table sanitizer			(Brian Moyle)
o	i810 audio updates/mmap fixes			(Doug Ledford)
o	Be paranoid about VIA chipset configurations	(Arjan van de Ven)
	| Fixing VIA disk corruption bugs take 2
o	Fix PPC request_irq problems, some fpu emu	(Cort Dougan)
	and timers
o	Allow scsi drivers to limit request sizes	(Jens Axboe,
	(and fixed by Tim)				 Tim Waugh)
o	Configure.help cleanups				(Steve Cole)
o	Loop device fix of the day			(Jens Axboe)
o	CDROM fixes					(Jens Axboe)
o	Reiserfs crash on fsync of dir fix	(Alexander Zarochentcev)

2.4.2-ac8
o	Fix loop over loop crash			(Jens Axboe)
o	Fix radeon build problems			(ISHIKAWA Mutsumi)
o	Stop two people claiming the same misc dev id	(Philipp Rumpf)
o	capable not suser on sx.c			(Rob Radez)
o	Fix an ixj build combination bug	(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Add integrator to ARM machines			(Russell King)
o	ARM include/constant cleanups			(Russell King)
o	Update ARM vmlinuz.in				(Russell King)
o	ARM i2c fixes					(Russell King)
o	ARM scsi updates				(Russell King)
o	ARM header updates				(Russell King)
o	Handle E820 bios returns with overlaps		(Brian Moyle)
o	Fix a sparc64 include build bug		(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Loop race fix					(Jens Axboe)
o	s_maxbytes wasnt set for old style compat	(Chris Dukes)
	mounts in reiserfs
o	Fix the fact we dont see all busses on some	(Don Dupuis)
	Compaq machines
o	Fix missing watchdog configure.help		(Jakob Ostergaard)
o	Fix oom deadlock (hopefully)			(Rik van Riel)
o	Fix binfmt_aout sign handling bug		(Andrew Morton)

2.4.2-ac7
o	Fusion driver updates				(Steve Ralston)
o	Olympic fix					(Andrew Morton)
o	Work around hardware bug in older Rage128	(Gareth Hughes)
o	Handle broken PIV MP tables with a NULL ioapic
o	Use capable in esp serial driver		(Rob Radez)
o	Use capable not suser in console		(Rob Radez)
o	Small networking fixups				(Dave Miller)
o	Fix make menuconfig breakage			(Keith Owens)
o	Enable cmpxchg8 on Rise P6			(Dave Jones)
o	Fix wakeup losses on cpu_allowed using tasks	(Manfred Spraul)
o	Maestro3 now works with > 256Mb of ram		(Zach Brown)
o	Opl3sa2 isapnp=0 handling was wrong		(Jérôme Augé)
	| I've fixed it a little differently however
o	Turn off slow kmem chain check if not doing	(Ingo Molnar, me)
	slab debugging
o	Fix cpu speed checking code			(Mikael Pettersson)
o	Make bus computation more accurate		(me)
o	Advantech watchdog driver			(Marek Michalkiewicz)
o	dz.c serial clean up				(Rob Radez)
o	Fix MSG_TRUNC for OOB TCP			(Ingo Molnar)
o	Fix oops on unconfigured loop			(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Drop nbd ll_rw_blk change			(Linus has spoken ;))
o	pci resource api				(Jeff Garzik)
o	Further Natsemi updates				(Don Becker,
							 Jeff Garzik)
o	Switch aurora serial to capable()		(Rob Radez)
o	Radeon frame buffer				(Ani Joshi)

2.4.2-ac6
o	Remove incorrect modules doc changes		(Keith Owens)
o	Fix elf.h defines				(Keith Owens)
o	Add 0x2B mtrr decode for intel/cyrix III	(me)
o	Make bigmem balancing somewhat saner		(Mark Hemment)
o	Update irda 					(Dag Brattli)
o	New FIR dongle support				(Dag Brattli)
o	3ware driver updates				(Adam Radford)
o	Further reiserfs tail conversion fixes		(Chris Mason)
o	Fix tpqic02 to use capable			(Rob Radez)
o	Set last_rx on comtrol hostess driver		(Arnaldo Carvalho
							 de Melo)
o	Raid Oops fix					(Neil Brown)
o	Fix last_rx/skb refs on cyc_x25			(Arnaldo Carvalho
							 de Melo)
o	Fix last_rx/skb refs on 3c589			(Arnaldo Carvalho
							 de Melo)
o	Highmem fixes for deadlock			(Andrea Arcangeli,
							 Ingo Molnar)
o	Another minor tulip fix				(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix hinote and maybe other ps/aux hangs		(me, Mark Clegg)
o	Fix resource handling on 53c7xxx		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix scsi_register failure handling on AMD scsi	(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix resource handling on aha1740		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix resource handling on blz1230		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix resource handling for dec_esp driver	(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix resource handling for fastlane scsi		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix scsi_register failure on qlogic_fas		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix scsi_register failure on qlogicfc		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix irq alloc failure leak on sun3x_esp		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix wd7000 init failures			(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix nbd device					(Steve Whitehouse)
o	Fix try_atomic_semop				(Manfred Spraul)
o	Parport fixes					(Tim Waugh)
o	Starfire start/stop if fix			(Ion Badulescu)
o	Fix raw.c off by one bug			(Tigran Aivazian)
o	USB hub kmalloc wrong size corruption fix	(Peter Zaitcev)

2.4.2-ac5
o	Add Epson 1240U scanners to usb scanner		(Joel Becker)
o	Fix eth= compatibility				(Andrew Morton)
	| Should fix 3c509 problems for one
o	Add Pnp table to opl3sa2			(Bill Nottingham)
o	Update loop driver fixes			(Jens Axboe, Andrea
							 Arcangeli, Al Viro)
o	Fix busy loop in usb storage			(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Add cardbus support to olympic			(Mike Phillips)
o	Make BUG() configurable to save space		(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Add configurability to most kernel debugging	(various people)
	functions on x86
o	Richard Günther/binfmt_misc page move		(Richard Günther)
o	Fix de4x5 crash					(Nikita Schmidt)
o	Hopefully fix the smc-mca driver		(me)
o	Don't run the disk queue if we didnt launder	(Marcelo Tosatti)
	any pages
o	ALi 6 channel audio and sp/dif updates		(Matt Wu)
o	Fix USB thread wakeup scheduling		(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Fix alignment problems with uni16_to_x8		(Ivan Kokshaysky)

2.4.2-ac4
o	Fix Make xconfig failure			(J Magallon)
o	Fix a typo in the ISDN docs			(Jim Freeman)
o	Fix the 3ware driver a bit more			(Ben LaHaise)
	| should now be usable
o	Update Dave Jones contact info			(Dave Jones)
o	Revert wavelan inline->macro change		(Jean Tourillhes)
	| CVS gcc and 2.96-74 don't accidentally unline it now
o	Zerocopy TCP/IP patches				(Dave Miller,
							 Alexey Kuznetsov,
							 and many more)
o	Fix up command line options to old ncr driver	(Martin Storsjö)
o	NFS locking should call fs layer locking if	(Brian Dixon)
	present
o	Fix cs46xx wakeup/poll problem			(David Huggins-Daines)
o	Add some missing MTD config help texts		(Steven Cole,
							 David Woodhouse)
o	Fix Alpha build bug				(Sven Koch)
o	Final i386/ptrace bit
o	Finish off the vmalloc/WP fixup			(me)
o	Include file config.h fixes			(Niels Jensen)
o	More dscc4 updates				(Francois Romieu)

2.4.2-ac3
o	Add documentation for the fb interfaces		(Brad Douglas)
o	Work around apic disable_irq hardware bugs	(Maciej Rozycki)
o	Rage128 not "Rage 128"				(Brad Douglas)
o	Make ioremap debugging conditional		(J Magallon)
o	Merge Ninja pcmcia scsi driver			(YOKOTA Hiroshi)
o	Update 8139too docs				(Jeff Garzik)
o	Tulip updates, merge bits from 0.92 		(Jeff Garzik,
							 Don Becker)
o	Epic100 update					(Jeff Garzik)
o	Clean up Ariadne driver				(Jeff Garzik)
o	Remove dead wavelan prototype			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Remove unused arlan variable			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Clean up lance public symbols			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Switch fmv18x to spinlocks, fix other bits	(Jeff Garzik)
o	Clean up acenic global symbols			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix IDE blocking kmalloc with irqs off		(Arjan van de Ven)
	| I've redone the code a bit so it might be wrong again 8)

2.4.2-ac2
o	Merge the loop device fixes			(Jens Axboe)
o	Fix af_unix SYSCTL=n build failure		(Russell King)
o	Adjust the throttling point for write		(Jens Axboe)
	throttles
o	Fix sunhme ioremap				(Andrey Panin)
o	Fix disk change handling with removable sd	(Alex Davis)
o	Update/fix irq docs				(Matthew Wilcox)
o	Update PPC gmac and ncr885e drivers		(Cort Dougan)
	| bmac patch dropped as it loses other fixes
o	Kai Petzke has moved				(Kai Petzke)
o	Fix starfire driver so pump doesnt kill it	(Ion Badulescu)

2.4.2-ac1
o	Merge Linus 2.4.2 tree
	| We now have disagreeing ymfpci fixes. I've kept the ones
	| I tested for now.
o	Back out sr.c change				(me)
o	Fix moxa smartio driver				(Tom Mraz)
o	Hugh Blemings change of address			(Hugh Blemings)
o	Allow more i2o config time for slow calls
o	Aty128fb updates				(Brad Douglas,
						      Benjamin Herrenschmidt,
							 Michel Danzer,
							 Andreas Hundt)
o	Add "loop" name to the root dev names		(Barry Nathan)
o	Further spelling cleanups			(Dag Wieers)
o	Remove bogus warning emissions from aha1740	(Nick Holloway)
o	Remove surplus assignment in vmalloc		(Francis Galiegue)
o	Remove unneeded ifdef in i386/kernel/irq.c	(Francis Galiegue)
o	Add door locking ioctl to ide-floppy		(Francis Galiegue)
o	Allow scsi disk opening O_NDELAY for removables	(me)
o	Fix cosa compile warnings			(me)
o	Clean up dumpable/setuid write ordering		(me)
o	Hopefully fix the 3ware crashes 		(me)

---
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Red Hat Kernel Hacker
& Linux 2.2 Maintainer                        Brainbench MVP for TCP/IP
http://www.linux.org.uk/diary                 http://www.brainbench.com