* Re: Intel And Kenrel Programming (was: Nvidia is a great company)
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.44.0301131852100.9994-100000@localhost.localdomain>
@ 2003-01-14  9:39 ` Tigran Aivazian
From: Tigran Aivazian @ 2003-01-14  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

The answer is, yes, you are right. Not because no errors were found (who
knows about that!) but because no microcode was released to me by Intel
since the one you see on website. As soon as I get new microcode it will
be uploaded immediately, don't worry.

Regards
Tigran

@ 2003-01-12 19:46     ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2003-01-12 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re: Intel And Kenrel Programming (was: Nvidia is a great company)
@ 2003-01-12 17:54       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-01-12 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 16:58, Rob Wilkens wrote:
> The hardware engineers, in my experience, will not refer to those issues
> as bugs, but rather as misdocumented features... No?  I mean if an
> errata is enough to work around the problem, then the documentation was
> clearly the problem, and not the hardware implementation.

Intel seperate out things that are docmentation errors, clarifications
and actual bugs. They publish regular errata documents listing these,
and when they do decide to turn a flaw into a specification update they
document that too. AMD likewise.

Some vendors may not do this, but the x86 CPU vendors seem to do a good
job.

> As per the microcode updates, I noticed RedHat 8 was autoupdating
> microcode on each boot IIRC. I've since switched to Debian and don't
> know that it does this.  Should I be concerned?

It depends on your chip revisions. For example the O(1) scheduler will trigger
very occasional random crashes or reboots with early PII Xeon microcode sets.
I'm sure Debian has a package for this somewhere.

Alan

* Re: Intel And Kenrel Programming (was: Nvidia is a great company)
@ 2003-01-12 16:58     ` Rob Wilkens
From: Rob Wilkens @ 2003-01-12 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 11:45, Alan Cox wrote:
> There are actually very few chips we don't have to deal with some kind
> of errata on, and the newer more complex chips generally have the larger
> collections of errata.
>
> One thing that has been helpful is the microcode update stuff Intel did, we
> hit  few bugs that up to date microcode kill off

The hardware engineers, in my experience, will not refer to those issues
as bugs, but rather as misdocumented features... No?  I mean if an
errata is enough to work around the problem, then the documentation was
clearly the problem, and not the hardware implementation.

As per the microcode updates, I noticed RedHat 8 was autoupdating
microcode on each boot IIRC. I've since switched to Debian and don't
know that it does this.  Should I be concerned?

-Rob

* Re: Intel And Kenrel Programming (was: Nvidia is a great company)
@ 2003-01-12 16:45   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-01-12 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-12 14:42 ` Rob Wilkens
From: Rob Wilkens @ 2003-01-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)