* Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects
@ 2015-04-15 16:23 Lars Kurth
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-04-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>,
	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: Sarah Conway

Hi all,

I wanted to make the proposal to archive the following two subproject on the grounds that they completed their goals

a) http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/pvops.html <http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/pvops.html>
b) http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/arm-hypervisor.html <http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/arm-hypervisor.html>

In the case of a) the goal was to establish Xen support in Linux, which has been achieved
In the case of b) the goal was to establish ARM support in the Hypervisor which has been achieved

According to http://xenproject.org/governance.html <http://xenproject.org/governance.html> we would need to perform an archivation review. In this case, the situation is quite clear IMHO and I believe that we do not need to make an extensive case, besides the one above. So my proposal would be to just have a committer vote on these. I would be happy if committers and maintainers listed in a), b) and http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html <http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html> were to just reply with the usual +1, 0, -1 to this thread.

In practical terms, the following would happen. I would remove a) from the website and merge bits of b) into http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html <http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html>

There is no mailing list or repo impact for both projects, as both do not have separate lists.

We would probably archive some pages in http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:PVOPS <http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:PVOPS> - I would need David and Konrad's help for that. Probably 15 minutes should be fine. Maybe in fact it may make sense to rename the Category to Linux.

As far as I can see, none of the pages in http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:XenARM <http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:XenARM> need to be archived. http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Archived/Xen_ARM_(PV) <http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Archived/Xen_ARM_(PV)> is already archived.

We would probably also put together a blog post, once all of this has been done and maybe put together a press release (up to Sarah and the Advisory Board).

Any views?

Best Regards
Lars

* Re: Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects
@ 2015-04-16 11:37 ` Ian Campbell
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-04-16 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Sarah Conway, Stefano Stabellini, <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>

On Wed, 2015-04-15 at 17:23 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:

> According to http://xenproject.org/governance.html we would need to
> perform an archivation review. In this case, the situation is quite
> clear IMHO and I believe that we do not need to make an extensive
> case, besides the one above. So my proposal would be to just have a
> committer vote on these. I would be happy if committers and
> maintainers listed in a), b) and
> http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html were to just
> reply with the usual +1, 0, -1 to this thread.

+1 to exorcising Xen ARM PV, it's just confusing and dead.

My personal inclination is also that the pvops project is "done" and I
would vote +1, but I don't really think it is up to me. If formally I am
needed to vote to get things done then I would vote with the majority
side of David, Konrad & Boris (who I believe are the 3 current Linux
maintainers).

Ian.

* Re: Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects
@ 2015-04-16 11:45 ` David Vrabel
From: David Vrabel @ 2015-04-16 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>,
	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: Sarah Conway

On 15/04/15 17:23, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to make the proposal to archive the following two subproject on
> the grounds that they completed their goals
>
> a) http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/pvops.html

I thought this was closed ages ago.

+1, but I don't actually have voting rights...

> We would probably also put together a blog post, once all of this has
> been done and maybe put together a press release (up to Sarah and the
> Advisory Board).

I don't think we want a press release or anything about closing the
PVOPS project -- it's not been relevant for years and should just
quietly go.

I'll review/update the wiki when I get time.

David

* Re: Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects
@ 2015-04-16 18:25   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-04-16 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell
  Cc: Lars Kurth, Sarah Conway, Stefano Stabellini,
	<xen-devel@lists.xen.org>

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 12:37:15PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-04-15 at 17:23 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
> >
> > According to http://xenproject.org/governance.html we would need to
> > perform an archivation review. In this case, the situation is quite
> > clear IMHO and I believe that we do not need to make an extensive
> > case, besides the one above. So my proposal would be to just have a
> > committer vote on these. I would be happy if committers and
> > maintainers listed in a), b) and
> > http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html were to just
> > reply with the usual +1, 0, -1 to this thread.
>
> +1 to exorcising Xen ARM PV, it's just confusing and dead.
>
> My personal inclination is also that the pvops project is "done" and I
> would vote +1, but I don't really think it is up to me. If formally I am
> needed to vote to get things done then I would vote with the majority
> side of David, Konrad & Boris (who I believe are the 3 current Linux
> maintainers).

+1 for pvops and +1 for Xen ARM PV

@ 2015-04-17  8:46     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-04-17  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
  Cc: Lars Kurth, Sarah Conway, Stefano Stabellini,
	<xen-devel@lists.xen.org>

On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 14:25 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 12:37:15PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-04-15 at 17:23 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
> > >
> > > According to http://xenproject.org/governance.html we would need to
> > > perform an archivation review. In this case, the situation is quite
> > > clear IMHO and I believe that we do not need to make an extensive
> > > case, besides the one above. So my proposal would be to just have a
> > > committer vote on these. I would be happy if committers and
> > > maintainers listed in a), b) and
> > > http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html were to just
> > > reply with the usual +1, 0, -1 to this thread.
> >
> > +1 to exorcising Xen ARM PV, it's just confusing and dead.
> >
> > My personal inclination is also that the pvops project is "done" and I
> > would vote +1, but I don't really think it is up to me. If formally I am
> > needed to vote to get things done then I would vote with the majority
> > side of David, Konrad & Boris (who I believe are the 3 current Linux
> > maintainers).
>
> +1 for pvops and +1 for Xen ARM PV

With Konrad and David's +1 for pvops my vote is no longer in doubt: +1.

Ian.

* Re: Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects
@ 2015-04-17 13:26 ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2015-04-17 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Sarah Conway, Stefano Stabellini, <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
> I wanted to make the proposal to archive the following two subproject on the grounds that they completed their goals
>
> a) http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/pvops.html
> b) http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/arm-hypervisor.html
>
> In the case of a) the goal was to establish Xen support in Linux, which has been achieved
> In the case of b) the goal was to establish ARM support in the Hypervisor which has been achieved
>
> According to http://xenproject.org/governance.html we would need to perform an archivation review. In this case, the situation is
> quite clear IMHO and I believe that we do not need to make an extensive case, besides the one above. So my proposal would be to
> just have a committer vote on these. I would be happy if committers and maintainers listed in a), b)
> and http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html were to just reply with the usual +1, 0, -1 to this thread.
>
> In practical terms, the following would happen. I would remove a) from the website and merge bits of b)
> into http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html
>
> There is no mailing list or repo impact for both projects, as both do not have separate lists.
>
> We would probably archive some pages in http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:PVOPS - I would need David and Konrad's help for
> that. Probably 15 minutes should be fine. Maybe in fact it may make sense to rename the Category to Linux.
>
> As far as I can see, none of the pages in http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:XenARM need to be
> archived. http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Archived/Xen_ARM_(PV) is already archived.
>
> We would probably also put together a blog post, once all of this has been done and maybe put together a press release (up to
> Sarah and the Advisory Board).
>
> Any views?

+1 on both counts

* Re: Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects
@ 2015-04-22 10:55   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-04-22 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Tim Deegan, Ian Jackson, Keir Fraser
  Cc: Sarah Conway, Stefano Stabellini, <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>

Any other votes by committers (in the TO list) before I tally the votes?
Regards
Lars

> On 17 Apr 2015, at 14:26, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2015, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> [snip]
>> We would probably also put together a blog post, once all of this has been done and maybe put together a press release (up to
>> Sarah and the Advisory Board).
>>
>> Any views?
>
> +1 on both counts

* Re: Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-04-22 11:08 ` Tim Deegan
From: Tim Deegan @ 2015-04-22 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Sarah Conway, Stefano Stabellini, <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>

At 17:23 +0100 on 15 Apr (1429118591), Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to make the proposal to archive the following two subproject on the grounds that they completed their goals
>
> a) http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/pvops.html <http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/pvops.html>
> b) http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/arm-hypervisor.html <http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/arm-hypervisor.html>

+1 to both.

Cheers,

Tim.

* Re: Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects
@ 2015-04-22 13:04     ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2015-04-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Keir Fraser, Tim Deegan, <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>,
	Sarah Conway, Stefano Stabellini, Jan Beulich

@ 2015-04-24 15:22       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-04-24 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson
  Cc: Keir Fraser, Tim Deegan, <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>,
	Sarah Conway, Stefano Stabellini, Jan Beulich

> On 22 Apr 2015, at 14:04, Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Lars Kurth writes ("Re: Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects"):
>> Any other votes by committers (in the TO list) before I tally the votes?
>
> +1 to both.

We had several +1's and no -1's. So this vote carries

@ 2015-04-24 16:30         ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-04-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson
  Cc: Keir Fraser, Tim Deegan, <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>,
	Sarah Conway, Stefano Stabellini, Jan Beulich

> On 24 Apr 2015, at 16:22, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 22 Apr 2015, at 14:04, Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Lars Kurth writes ("Re: Archiving Xen on ARM and PVOPS subprojects"):
>>> Any other votes by committers (in the TO list) before I tally the votes?
>>
>> +1 to both.
>
> We had several +1's and no -1's. So this vote carries
> Lars

Just as a note, I removed the PVOPS and ARM pages from the Developer menu and http://www.xenproject.org/developers/teams.html and merged relevant content into http://www.xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor.html

I will do the PVOPS wiki stuff at some point when back from Shanghai

Regards
Lars