* Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2002-12-31  3:57 Hell.Surfers
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2002-12-31  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, rms

Why does the community continue to make pacts with a company that steals from its rivals, makes pacts with M$, and refuses to clearly GPL and open source its work on drivers, there is a clear difference between their use of GPL files, and what the GPL says they can do. You cannot expect embedded kernel developers to GPL, if you excuse Nvidia, its a vain hope to grab M$ users, but in the long run it destroys the community.

Dean. Three ways to kill yourself, and ive been drove in one...

* RE: Gauntlet Set NOW!
@ 2003-01-04  9:55 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-04  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andre, andrew, ryan, linux-kernel

moving the whole thing into firmware? Interesting, got _any_ meat on the bone?

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6170 bytes --]

From: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>
To: Andrew McGregor <andrew@indranet.co.nz>
Cc: Ryan Anderson <ryan@michonline.com>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Gauntlet Set NOW!
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 01:45:44 -0800 (PST)

There is a solution out there and as soon as I can verify it works,
gameover for anyone thinking they will get access to soft IP again by
banging a dead drum.

CAM, Content Addressable Memory on a card.

Usage will be to stuff any binary soft code now reclassified as "firmware"
into a piece of hardware.  Set the addressable memory hooks for what is
now called the open source wrapper for binary objects, and game is over.

There is hardware with a software core which is totally embedded for all
practical purposes.  Use your existing GPL wrapper and call it you new
driver!  Funny how people come up with ways to thwart the sticky fingers
to rip off IP and hard work.  Lets see how GPL goes to get soft IP locked
into hardware.

Force rules and license into places they do not belong, and evolution
happens to push back and impose the boundaries of IP.

Surprised ?  Not me.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

-

* RE: Gauntlet Set NOW!
@ 2003-01-04 10:12 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-04 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andre, andrew, ryan, linux-kernel

Sounds like a jumped up PIC chip, cant think why isnt done yet.

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1678 bytes --]

From: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>
To: Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net
Cc: andrew@indranet.co.nz, ryan@michonline.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 02:07:27 -0800 (PST)

http://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/catalog/logicore/docs/cam.pdf
http://aggregate.org/ECard/
http://www.utmc.com/cam/
http://www.openskytech.com/ContentAddressableMemory.htm
http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rhodson/cam/CamPage.html
http://ipdps.eece.unm.edu/2000/raw/18000884.pdf
http://www.infoworld.com/research/articles/01/05/15/01051524605.xml
http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee371/handouts/DramCam92.pdf
http://www.altera.com/support/software/eda_quartus2/glossary/def_cam.htm
http://www.altera.com/literature/po/apex_cam_ss.pdf
http://www.esscirc.org/papers-96/26.pdf

The list is long, the histroy is there.

@ 2003-01-04 10:38 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-04 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, andre, ryan, linux-kernel

what war am I fighting? I decided that the battle is lost a long time ago, im showing the community its fate, eventual collapse from a unrealistic GPL that needs a decent funeral, sue NVidia and I collapse it, when I lose.

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3875 bytes --]

From: Andrew McGregor <andrew@indranet.co.nz>
To: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>, Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net
Cc: ryan@michonline.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:28:10 +1300

How about:

http://www.celoxica.com/
http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/npfamily/index.htm
http://www.hifn.com/products/Security.html

for some alternative ways to the end.

Dean, mate, give up.  This is a battle you will not win, and it would
preserve the freedom you wish to have more if you did not fight.
Unfortunately, the tension between IP, profit, and technological progress
is complex.  Fortunately, there is room in the ecosystem for many views,
and some of us are capable of holding different views for different
projects.

I really respect Andre for what he's trying to do, and for what he has
done.  I don't see any history which gives me any reason to respect you,
and you're wearing out your default credit real fast.  My own history is
more at the IETF than in Linux, but check out something called HIP and the
manet working group for an example.  And www.indranet.co.nz too.  I only
mention these because they're kind of obscure in the Linux context.

Andrew

--On Saturday, January 04, 2003 02:07:27 -0800 Andre Hedrick

@ 2003-01-04 10:57 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-04 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, andre, ryan, linux-kernel

you cant hear this, but if I was a troll, I woulda been happy, im not im off to write a decent license, that allows binaries and true free use, its not about the hardware, I wanna use a os thats just _legal_ so im gonna piss off and do that, oh and Im a elec engineer and physicist, bye.

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2178 bytes --]

From: Andrew McGregor <andrew@indranet.co.nz>
To: Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net, andre@linux-ide.org, ryan@michonline.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:42:37 +1300

Welcome to the kill file, Mr Troll.

For your edification, it *is* done.  Frequently.  Probably even in the
settop box you're posting with.

--On Saturday, January 04, 2003 10:12:49 +0000 Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net wrote:

> Sounds like a jumped up PIC chip, cant think why isnt done yet.
>
> Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].
>
> On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 02:07:27 -0800 (PST) Andre Hedrick
> <andre@linux-ide.org> wrote:

-

* RE: Gauntlet Set NOW!
@ 2003-01-05  6:28 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-05  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, matan, linux-kernel

I do not count GPL programs on top of a proprietary bios because the bios is firmware AND NOT TECHNICALLY SOFTWARE.

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2878 bytes --]

From: Andrew McGregor <andrew@indranet.co.nz>
To: Matan Ziv-Av <matan@svgalib.org>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 08:43:02 +1300

Which is all nice and good, but trying to do this in order to suspend a
laptop is going to result in vastly more code, and you just can't get the
documentation.

After all, the vendor gave you the code with the hardware in this case, so
it's not as if you can possibly not have a license for it :-)

Andrew

--On Saturday, January 04, 2003 21:31:38 +0200 Matan Ziv-Av
<matan@svgalib.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Andrew McGregor wrote:
>
>> Or else find that the NV3x has some stonking quick CPU embedded, and apps
>> talk GLX to it...
>>
>> Strange how noone objects to APM BIOS calls or ACPI.
>
> Actually, I object to this.
> On my via 686a, the advice on this list for getting the power saving was
> to use ACPI (after setting some bits in PCI config space). But lvcool
> program showed how to do this without proprietary programs, and I
> adapted it to bit of kernel code:

<snip>