* Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2002-12-31  3:57 Hell.Surfers
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2002-12-31  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, rms

Why does the community continue to make pacts with a company that steals from its rivals, makes pacts with M$, and refuses to clearly GPL and open source its work on drivers, there is a clear difference between their use of GPL files, and what the GPL says they can do. You cannot expect embedded kernel developers to GPL, if you excuse Nvidia, its a vain hope to grab M$ users, but in the long run it destroys the community.

Dean. Three ways to kill yourself, and ive been drove in one...

[parent not found: <fa.led6ibv.hcejr@ifi.uio.no>]
* Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2002-12-31 17:10 Roberto Peon
From: Roberto Peon @ 2002-12-31 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Mark Rutherford

Yea, I'm happy I can use my NVidia hardware with linux-x86, however I have no chance of adding render-to-texture support or various other extensions that would make MY life a heck of a lot easier in the longrun. Note that all of those WGL extensions are NOT supported under linux, and somehow, the seem pretty dang important.

On that note, NVidia hasn't done -nothing- as I've heard some people suggest. They havn't even done nothing for the open source community.

They've made their hardware run on many/most current versions of linux-x86. This encourages more end-user class people with NVidia hardware to use linux. Depending on who you are and what your goals are (i.e. world domination?) this may be a good thing for the community.

I really hate it when people have a knee-jerk reaction to providing binary-only support one way or the other.

There are obvious disadvantages to a binary-only driver/distribution, however you shouldn't overlook that the fact that it works it all is important too! (And yea, I'd like to have the source open too, That should be apparant from my first paragraph)

-Roberto JP
robertopeon@sportvision.com

From: Mark Rutherford <mark@justirc.net>
Date: 	Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:49:49 -0500

@ 2003-01-01  3:13 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-01  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scott, linux-kernel

no Nvidias drivers arent like coal because coal is useful for fires, what happens when Nvidia decide those cards are too old? But just new enough to not show the competition their code, Nvidia are a drain on the community with nothing useful to show for it.

Dean. Three ways to kill yourself, and ive been drove in one...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3487 bytes --]

From: "Scott Robert Ladd" <scott@coyotegulch.com>
To: "Paul Jakma" <paulj@alphyra.ie>, "Mark Rutherford" <mark@justirc.net>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:05:35 -0500

Paul Jakma wrote
> "what you get for christmas?"
>
> "a lump of coal"
>
> at least you get /something/. however, you didnt get what counts,
> programming info for the card.

I, and many other Linux users, do not consider nVidia's drivers to be "a
lump of coal." What "counts" is being able to use my hardware effectively.
Closed-source drivers may not be ideal, but few things in life are.

Even the conservative Debian distribution (which I use) has the nVidia
drivers available in the distribution.

In order of preference (for me):

1) High-quality drivers with open source
2) High-quality drivers with closed source
3) Poor-quality drivers with open source
4) Poor-quality drivers with closed source

Out of four possibilities, we're getting the next-to-best thing. Certainly,
I'd *like* to have the specs for nVidia's cards -- but given competition
between nVidia and ATI, I don't see that happening. One advantage nVidia has
(small as it may be) is high-quality drivers for Linux; it's one reason my
Linux systems have TNT2 and GeForce 4 cards installed.

Note that my Windows boxes run ATI cards; I'm not an nVidia shill.

One of Linux's historical weaknesses (when compared to the competition) is
video support. While I urge nVidia to open their specifications (and in the
end think it would be in their best interest), I'm also very pleased that
they provide high-performance drivers for free (as in beer).

...Scott

--
Scott Robert Ladd
Professional programming for science and engineering;

-

* Re: Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-01  5:13 A Guy Called Tyketto
From: A Guy Called Tyketto @ 2003-01-01  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hell.Surfers; +Cc: linux-kernel

        First off, could you please your MUA to use 80 columns? having to
manually put in carriage returns to read your mail gets rather tedious...

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 05:01:12AM +0000, Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net wrote:
> read up on why the GPL exists, its not to protect a billion dollar
company, its to protect honest contributors from having their work stolen
by big buisness like just what happened when Nvidia used various GPLd
HEADER FILES IN ITS MODULES AND KEPT SOURCE CLOSED. by "DEAD HORSE".

        I know why the GPL exists.. however, that does not mean or indicate
that a company could not use the GPL for their own reasons. They a) wrote
their own code, b) may have used headers that were GPL'ed, but does not mean
or insinuate that just because they use GPL'd headers that they must have
their SOURCE open. Many companies use GPL'd material, for their own purposes,
and not have to have their own personal source open. You may want to read into
the actual documentation for the GPL and LGPL.

        Besides.. Who is an honest contributor who worked on NVidia's own
module? Did anyone outside NVidia write it? no. NVidia wrote it, NVidia
released it, it's NVidia's IP. you're confusing Headers with the actual code.

        Like Snoop Dogg said. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

                                                        BL.

--
Brad Littlejohn                         | Email:        tyketto@wizard.com
Unix Systems Administrator,             |           tyketto@ozemail.com.au

* RE:Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-01  7:43 Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2003-01-01  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hell.Surfers, info; +Cc: linux-kernel, Richard Stallman

Hell.Surfers,

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net wrote:

> You must understand the GNU/LINUX community is being manipulated by NVidia.

   NVIDIA Corporate Office:
   2701 San Tomas Expressway
   Santa Clara, CA 95050
   Tel: 408-486-2000
   Fax: 408-486-2200
   info@nvidia.com
   Directions to Corporate Office

> Dean. Three ways to kill yourself, and ive been drove in one...

GO FOR IT!

I will love to see the fall out.

Regards,

@ 2003-01-02  5:33 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-02  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: billh, paul, riel, linux-kernel, rms

The NVidia driver is derivative, a lot of people put trust in the GPL and I am one, im currently picking a solicitor, NVidia will either win or lose, if I lose, M$ win  may soon be a lot like Linux.

Dean. Three ways to kill yourself, and ive been drove in one...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4398 bytes --]

From: Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To: Paul Jakma <paul@clubi.ie>
Cc: Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>, Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, rms@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:37:36 -0800

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 12:31:13AM +0000, Paul Jakma wrote:
> The NVidia shim makes use of several kernel subsystems, the PCI
> device layer, the VM, the module system (well really, the kernel
> makes of use of the functions the module provides :) ), IRQ
> subsystem, the VFS, etc.. These systems are rather large bodies of
> code - without which the NVidia kernel driver could not work.

Well, no, look at the "nm" dump of the object file. It's got a lot of
proprietary code that came from what looks like commerical libraries
that they don't own. Back when they wrote the original drive, the GPL
equivalents of DRM, AGP, etc... sucked so they had to write their own
stuff just to get anything basic working.

> driver is not a derivative work, and hence it seems to me the NVidia
> driver is technically in material breach of GPL.

Their portability layer wraps the low level calls into their own
terminology and portability API. It's fairly outside of the linux kernel
itself, internally the object file looks very Win32ish.

Obviously a GPL rewrite of this would entail a lot of replicated effort
and would also depend on things that are incomplete, non-existent and
don't have a lot direct interest from the GPL community. 3D isn't a hot
commodity in Linux, FreeBSD unlike with dedicated SGI machines (although
faded).

It's a very practical solution to do it this way.

> So I am not quite sure on what basis one could argue the NVidia
>
> You seem to be basing your opinion on:
>
>  "the nvidia driver uses only the standard interfaces to hook into
>  the Linux kernel"
>
> How are the standard interfaces not covered by the GPL?

All I saw where kernel header files include in the sources, nothing
more. They have to support multipule architecture and OSes so keeping
this stuff outside of the driver is a good thing. The GPL-ly stuff is
publically available as source files.

> I know Linus' has often posted to l-k that he doesnt care about
> binary only modules as long as they stick to the exported interfaces.
> However, are all the kernel developers agreed on this? And if so, can
> this exception be formalised and put into the COPYING file? If not,
> then is NVidia not in breach of the kernel's licence?

I'd rather have the experts do it at NVidia, than a half completed open
source implementation that isn't terribly optimized.

Matrix multiplies, T&L, etc... communication between user and kernel
space that provides this to the OpenGL libraries are all exotic. I'm glad
that nobody has to deal with this stuff directly and that a vendor is
willing to provide support for it.

bill

-

* Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-02  6:48 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-02  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andersen, billh, paul, riel, linux-kernel, rms

I say we start a driver based on the UTAHs. MR. Anderson had a good schedule :), knock knock neo... ;-))

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3539 bytes --]

From: Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org>
To: Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc: Paul Jakma <paul@clubi.ie>, Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>, Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, rms@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 23:12:33 -0700

On Wed Jan 01, 2003 at 05:37:36PM -0800, Bill Huey wrote:
> Obviously a GPL rewrite of this would entail a lot of replicated effort
> and would also depend on things that are incomplete, non-existent and
> don't have a lot direct interest from the GPL community. 3D isn't a hot
> commodity in Linux, FreeBSD unlike with dedicated SGI machines (although
> faded).

Ahh, but replicated effort is something that open source people
do very well at indeed.  If nvidia provided non-functional GPL
source code with all the proprietary 3rd party bits ripped out,
I would expect a hoard of developers would jump at the chance to
fixup the non-functional mess, clean it up, reimplement all the
missing proprietary bits.  I'd bet you $20 US we could have a
functional driver within 2 weeks.  And have a high quality driver
roughly equal to their proprietary one within 6 months.  Thats
the way things work around these parts of the net.  I bought a
copy of Quake when they GPLd their code to show support.  I
similarly bought a copy of Quake II after they GPLd their code.
If Nvidia released their code under the GPL, I'd buy one of their
cards.  As is, I'm sticking with my ATI card...

 -Erik

-

* Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-02 17:43 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-02 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmack, mtanski, billh, paul, riel, linux-kernel

not in the us, in the uk, i have nothing to lose.

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3566 bytes --]

From: Gerhard Mack <gmack@innerfire.net>
To: Milosz Tanski <mtanski@wideopenwest.com>
Cc: Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net, <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, <paul@clubi.ie>, <riel@conectiva.com.br>, <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:33:22 -0500 (EST)

Hes trolling... these sorts of things are such a muddy mess in the US that
it's a coin toss whether any lawsuit will win.

He should stop talking about it and just do it and in the meantime
us would be better off just black holing his email.  I doubt hes going to
go through with it and I question how much money someone who has to get
his internet access off a TV settop box really has enough money to pay for
the planned lawsuit anyhow.

Can we all stop feeding the trolls now?

Gerhard

cat >> ~/.procmailrc << _END_
:0 W
* ^X-Mailing-List.*linux-kernel@vger\.kernel\.org
* ^(((From):)|( )).*Hell.Surfers@cwctv\.net
/dev/null

_END_

--
Gerhard Mack

gmack@innerfire.net

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

-

* Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-03 16:45 Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2003-01-03 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Schwartz; +Cc: andrew, Marco Monteiro, linux-kernel

> However, with a license like the GPL, every game has to be developed on a
> proprietary base. You simply can't afford to put any money into an open
> source base. So every game has to start back from square one, or the most
> advanced proprietary base that can be found.

Back in the heyday of attention to open source, I spent hours and hours
and hours on the phone with Raymond trying to get the OSI to come up with
a "business source license" which would address some of these issues.
think there is a strong need for something like that, but the GPL
fanatics are desperate to paint the world as black or white and force
people into an entirely open or entirely closed choice.  The reason they
want to do this is that they know darn well that it is always the middle
of the road compromise which wins, and they don't want to compromise.
So we get these endless tirades about how the GPL is the One True Way
and anything else is Evil.

It was most unfortunate that I couldn't get anywhere with ESR.  If he and
the OSI had come up with some compromises, rather than just pandering to a
small but vocal group, I think that he would have cemented a significant
place in history.  I am positive that the world will eventually move in
directions where there is some sort of compromise, maybe something like
you get N years of closed use and then the old stuff has to be opened,
whatever.  The world already understands that you need to make money to
survive and the world is starting to understand that there is value in
having things be open.
--
---

* Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-04  0:53 Billy Rose
From: Billy Rose @ 2003-01-04  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

if i were a big monopolistic company that has recently (openly) began
to worry about the threat of linux taking some of my market share, i
would create an explosive topic on the kernel mailing list and begin
dividing up the developers using political agenda such as this. little
by little, the cracks in the foundation would start giving way to
larger debates. finally, simple ideology would create a divide that
causes the developers to choose "sides" and then fragmentation would
occur. the ultimate outcome: the unix syndrome. perhaps this is not
such a case, but it may as well be from what i have read. sometimes
not giving your opinion is worth more than winning a debate. think
about it.

billy
=====
"there's some milk in the fridge that's about to go bad...
and there it goes..." -bobby

* RE: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-04  6:20 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-04  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, portnoy, linux-kernel

By admitting you do not understand, you have taken the first step ;) read the lgpl, use it for your game.

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2682 bytes --]

From: Andrew Walrond <andrew@walrond.org>
To: Jon Portnoy <portnoy@tellink.net>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 20:21:38 +0000

Ah, so I'm not bad then - just confused!

Just to confirm then;

I am free to develop computer games, keep the source code closed, sell
the software for cash, and I'm just a fine and dandy chap and Richard
Stallman will be my bestest mate?

Fab! I'm so happy.

[ For non British among you:
Irony \I"ron*y\, n.[L. ironia, Gr. ? dissimulation, fr. ? a
    dissembler in speech, fr. ? to speak; perh. akin to E. word:
    cf. F. ironie.]
    1. Dissimulation; ignorance feigned for the purpose of
       confounding or provoking an antagonist.
    2. A sort of humor, ridicule, or light sarcasm, which adopts
       a mode of speech the meaning of which is contrary to the
       literal sense of the words.
]

Jon Portnoy wrote:
 > Educate yourself, then come back and discuss freedom.

You're having a laugh mate.  :)

-

* RE: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-04  7:11 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-04  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, helgehaf, linux-kernel

IMHO, if your wife would leave you for having no money shes an asshole. ;)

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4298 bytes --]

From: Andrew Walrond <andrew@walrond.org>
To: Helge Hafting <helgehaf@aitel.hist.no>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 14:48:40 +0000

Helge Hafting wrote:
> Andrew Walrond wrote:
>
>>Am I a bad person charging for my work?
>
> No.

Goodie!

>>Really - I want to understand so I too can join this merry band of happy
>>people giving everything away for free!
>>

> Nobody give everything away from free.  Free software, in particular,
> runs
> on boxes that cost money.  And people sell service and support.

But I don't sell service, or support. I sell *software*
Am I bad again ?

> The problem with nvidia isn't that they charge money.  The problem
> is that their product comes with strange restrictions.

Ah - I see

> The problems are:
> 1) The drivers are closed-source, so we can't fix the bugs.  (Yes,
>    there are bugs, and no, nvidia don't fix them immediately.  So
>    it'd be nice for us who understand C to fix this ourselves.
>    Releasing the code don't won't cost nvidia because they aren't
>    making money on it.  They might actually sell _more_ hardware
>    if they released the code.  So keeping it secret don't make sense
>    even from a extreme greediness viewpoint.  Such a driver can't
>    be made to work with a competing product either with a few tweaks.

Oh. But I don't give you the source code to my game. Crikey - How are
going to debug it if it breaks??? Am I bad again ?

> 2) Still, they _may_ have reasons not to release the code, perhaps
>    a patended algorithm or some such.  They could at least release the
>    specs for their card, so a free driver could be written from scratch.
>    But they don't do that either - strange.  Some manufacturers _do_
>    this, with no ill effects.  They get a slightly bigger market because
>    their equipment is ok with the free software world.

Gosh, they are naughty aren't they. But I can't release the source
either, because little jonnie and his mates will all copy it and I'll go
bust and I'll lose my house and my wife will leave me. Oh what a dilema!
Am I a bad man ?

> This is very much like selling cars were the gas tank is locked, and
> you don't have the key.  The gas stations have keys, but only
> some of them.  So you can't fill anywhere.
> Or a tv that don't work on thursdays. Silly in the extreme,
> annoying for the user and no benefit for the manufacturer.
>
> Helge Hafting

Thanks for explaining that.

I'm gonna hand myself in. I can hardly believe how bad I am. BAD Andrew.
Bad bad bad!

[Tongue so firmly in cheek that it hurts ;) Sorry Helge - I know you
mean well!]

-

* RE:Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-05  6:14 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2003-01-05  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthias.andree, linux-kernel, lm, rms, mark, billh, paul, riel

AMEN BROTHER. SING IT.

Dean McEwan, If the drugs don't work, [sarcasm] take more...[/sarcasm].

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5246 bytes --]

From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Cc: Larry McVoy <lm@work.bitmover.com>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>, mark@mark.mielke.cc, billh@gnuppy.monkey.org, paul@clubi.ie, riel@conectiva.com.br, Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 23:06:51 +0100

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Yeah, if only the company that has invested millions in trying to scratch
> out a place to stand, if only they would give us their intellectual
> property for free, if only, why then we could steal that IP and give it
> to other people.  And it would take us less time to do it if they would
> only cooperate.  Why won't they cooperate?

Keeping "intellectual property" to oneself is NOT what has made mankind
leave the trees and build up civilization, medical care and all that
stuff. Community is the cause, some people specialized in hunting or
agriculture, some in building houses, whatever.

I understand many existences currently depend on holding back
information (be that publishers of scientific journals, be that
entertainment; movies), and a lot of restructuring would be necessary if
"intellectual property" was no longer protected. Maybe it takes one won GPL
infringement law suit or two with adequate compensation paid to the
plaintiff that companies get trust into GPL. It might not work for
BitKeeper because that stuff needs too little support because it's too
good (the old "hey, why are you installing inferior software at
your clients' sites?" -- "to sell support afterwards") or something. ;-)

Seriously: would NVIDIA really lose if they open sourced the drivers?

It's their hardware that really bangs and that carries the bucks into
their house. If someone is to reverse engineer what they're doing, they
can also reverse engineer the driver first and then the chip.

Of course, opensourcing means you can't cheat by just disabling
functions in software and you won't get away too long with cheating
benchmarks. Maybe people get the idea that cooperation is nicer than
competition unless it leads to a monopoly that's exploited.

> Give it up, Stallman, we live in a capitalistic world.  The Russians
> tried communism and it didn't work.  It won't work here either, the
> kernel folks aren't that stupid.  Some people actually do learn from
> history.

And globalization + capitalism makes it that eventually only a monopoly
remains. Look at the oil market, look at Microsoft, look at the car
market or even food or pharmacy. Mergers everywhere, leading to layoffs,
raised gains, less competition. Ooops.

It's useful to have people around that think in other directions, they
make up for innovation. Linux is an offspring of such people's thoughts.

And from what is to be heard about ATI, the Macrovision stuff for the TV
outputs is one of the major reasons they are holding back source code.
Now assume it's true and think about the driver situation again. The
movie companies prevent you from improving ATI's TV output, ultimately.

This is exaggerated, but it might help stepping back and looking at the
WHOLE system.
-

* RE: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
@ 2003-01-06 18:03 J.S.Souza
From: J.S.Souza @ 2003-01-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RMS; +Cc: linux-kernel

Richard,
In the linked document, it is stated "Linux is normally used in a
combination with the GNU operating system".  I only wish to clarify, how can
GNU be an operating system without the kernel? Don't get me wrong, I don't
wish to pick a fight of any nature.  It just seems to be inconsistant with
the terms being set forth in the article.  Shouldn't it be referenced as the
"GNU programs" or "GNU components" when talking about GNU without a kernel.

Regards,
J.S.Souza