  • [parent not found: <5ygDT-6LK-3@gated-at.bofh.it>]
  • [parent not found: <515e525f0602141110r7a96568av4705c2a353407e6@mail.gmail.com>]
    [parent not found: <5E0mO-7c4-25@gated-at.bofh.it>]
    * Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)
    @ 2006-02-11  8:59 Andrey Borzenkov
    From: Andrey Borzenkov @ 2006-02-11  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: linux-kernel

    * Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)
    @ 2006-02-09 17:38 Zoltan Boszormenyi
    From: Zoltan Boszormenyi @ 2006-02-09 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: linux-kernel

    Hi!

    >DervishD <lkml@dervishd.net> wrote:
    >
    >>     Could you please clarify which things are broken by Matthias
    >> patch? This way he (or other developer) can prepare a better patch
    >> and maintain it. BTW, I patched my cdrecord with Matthias patch and
    >> nothing seems to be broken :? Maybe am I missing something?
    >
    >It is completely broken and thus makes no sense at all.
    >
    >As I did write it looks lie a dentist drills a hole into an aking tooth
    >and then claims to be complete with the whole treatment.
    >
    >Jörg

    It is a nicely written metaphor but hardly qualifies as  a technical
    argument.
    Sorry, -1 point for you for being such a bully. You obviously didn't look at
    Matthias' patch, you even expressed unwillingness to look at it.
    I would be _very_ surprised if at the end you actually read or
    (oh, the horror!) test it.

    I have followed every such threads that ended in a flamefest.

    Folks, please, cdrecord is GPL, at least up to 2.01.01a06.
    Take this version and ask for help from the wizards at forum.rpc1.org
    in forking. They drink, eat and breath CD-R[W] and DVD+-R[W] firmwares,
    they surely know vendor commands, they must be able to understand
    Jörg's software and maybe improve upon it. They can validate the
    ossdvd patch, and fix it if it's buggy. For those who don't know,
    there even exists a firmware updater for Pioneer DVD+-RW
    drives that work on Linux with /dev entries, on a live system,
    without the need for a reboot... http://lasvegas.rpc1.org/
    Look, Jörg, they don't need HOST/TARGET/LUN triplets for this task!

    Best regards,
    Zoltán Böszörményi

    [parent not found: <5yJ3h-6er-11@gated-at.bofh.it>]
    * Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)
    @ 2006-01-25  3:23 Albert Cahalan
    From: Albert Cahalan @ 2006-01-25  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: linux-kernel, rlrevell, schilling, matthias.andree, jengelh

    Jan Engelhardt writes:

    > Where is the difference between SG_IO-on-hdx and sg0?

    It's like the /dev/ttyS* and /dev/cua* situation, where
    we also ended up with multiple device files. This is bad.

    SG_IO-on-hdx is modern. It properly associates everything
    with one device, which you may name as desired.

    sg0 is useful for devices that are not disk, tape, or CD.
    A decade ago, it was also the proper way to send raw SCSI
    commands to other devices. For nasty compatibility reasons,
    Linux still assigns /dev/sg* devices for disk, tape, and CD.

    * Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)
    @ 2006-01-25  2:58 Albert Cahalan
    From: Albert Cahalan @ 2006-01-25  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: linux-kernel, schilling, rlrevell, matthias.andree

    Joerg Schilling writes:
    > Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:

    >> S3 Device enumeration/probing is a sore spot. Unprivileged
    >> "cdrecord dev=ATA: -scandisk" doesn't work, and recent
    >> discussions on the cdwrite@ list didn't make any progress.
    >> My observation is that cdrecord stops probing /dev/hd* devices
    >> as soon as one yields EPERM, on the assumption "if I cannot
    >> access /dev/hda, I will not have sufficient privilege to
    >> write a CD anyways". I find this wrong, Joerg finds it correct
    >> and argues "if you can access /dev/hdc as unprivileged user,
    >> that's a security problem".
    >
    > This are two problems:
    >
    > -     users of cdrecord like to run cdrecord -scanbus in order
    >       to find all SCSI devices. This no longer works since the
    >       non-orthogonal /dev/hd* SCSI transport has been added.
    >
    >       As Linux already implements a Generic SCSI transport
    >       interface (/dev/sg*) people would asume to be able to
    >       talk to _all_ SCSI devices using this interface.
    >       To allows this, there is a need for a SCSI HBA driver
    >       that sends SCSI commands via a ATA interface.
    >
    > -     some people seem to set the permissions of some of the
    >       /dev/hd* nodes to unsafe values and then complain that
    >       the other /dev/hd* nodes cannot be opened.

    **sigh**

    Matthias Andree said "(Joerg, please don't talk about layer
    violations here)", yet you do.

    We Linux users will forever patch your software to work the
    way every Linux app is supposed to work. (well, assuming
    nobody succumbs to a well-caffeinated urge to fork the code)

    Really, "users of cdrecord like to run cdrecord -scanbus"???
    They LIKE running a command to generate phony SCSI addresses?
    That's news to me.

    To better protect users from terrible accidents, Linux should
    avoid assigning a /dev/sg* device for anything with a regular
    device file. This, along with elimination of the obsolete
    ide-scsi crud, would make things a lot more safe and sane.

    BTW, before Joerg mentions portability, I'd like to remind
    everyone that all modern OSes support the use of normal device
    names for SCSI. The most awkward is FreeBSD, where you have
    to do a syscall or two to translate the name to Joerg's very
    non-hotplug non-iSCSI way of thinking. Windows, MacOS X, and
    even Solaris all manage to handle device names just fine. In
    numerous cases, not just Linux, cdrecord is inventing crap out
    of thin air to satisfy a pre-hotplug worldview.

    * Re: Rationale for RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?
    @ 2006-01-23 11:05 Arjan van de Ven
    From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2006-01-23 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

    `

    > 1. What is the reason we're having special treatment
    >    for the super-user here?

    it's quite common to allow root (or more specific, the right capability)
    to override rlimits. Many such security check behave that way so it's
    only "just" to treat this one like that as well.

    > 2. Why is it the opposite of what 2.6.8.1 and earlier did?

    the earlier behavior didn't really make sense, and gave cause to
    multimedia apps running as root only to be able to mlock etc etc. Now
    this can be dynamically controlled instead.

    > 4. Is the default hard limit of 32 kB initialized by the kernel or

    the kernel has a relatively low default. The reason is simple: allow too
    much mlock and the user can DoS the machine too easy. The kernel default
    should be safe, the admin / distro can very easily override anyway.

    You may ask: why is it not zero?
    It is very useful for many things to have a "small" mlock area. gpg, ssh
    and basically anything that works with keys and passwords. Small
    relative to the other resources such a process takes (eg kernel stacks
    etc).

    * Rationale for RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?
    @ 2006-01-23 10:56 Matthias Andree
    From: Matthias Andree @ 2006-01-23 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Greetings,

    debugging an application problem that used to mlockall(...FUTURE) and
    failed with a subsequent mmap(), I came across the manual page for
    setrlimit (see below for the relevant excerpt). I have several questions
    concerning the rationale:

    1. What is the reason we're having special treatment
       for the super-user here?

    2. Why is it the opposite of what 2.6.8.1 and earlier did?

    3. Why is this inconsistent with all other RLIMIT_*?
       Neither of which cares if a process is privileged or not.

    4. Is the default hard limit of 32 kB initialized by the kernel or
       by some script in SUSE 10.0? If it's the kernel: why is the limit so
       low, and why isn't just the soft limit set?

       "[...]
        RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
          The maximum number of bytes of memory that may  be  locked  into
          RAM.  In effect this limit is rounded down to the nearest multi-
          ple of the system page size.  This limit  affects  mlock(2)  and
          mlockall(2)  and  the mmap(2) MAP_LOCKED operation.  Since Linux
          2.6.9 it also affects the shmctl(2) SHM_LOCK operation, where it
          sets a maximum on the total bytes in shared memory segments (see
          shmget(2)) that may be locked by the real user ID of the calling
          process.   The  shmctl(2) SHM_LOCK locks are accounted for sepa-
          rately  from  the  per-process  memory  locks   established   by
          mlock(2),  mlockall(2),  and  mmap(2)  MAP_LOCKED; a process can
          lock bytes up to this limit in each of these two categories.  In
          Linux  kernels before 2.6.9, this limit controlled the amount of
          memory that could be locked  by  a  privileged  process.   Since
          Linux 2.6.9, no limits are placed on the amount of memory that a
          privileged process may lock, and this limit instead governs  the
          amount of memory that an unprivileged process may lock. [...]"
       (getrlimit(2), man-pages-2.07)

    --
    Matthias Andree