* Re: Free Linux Driver Development!
@ 2007-02-04 21:37 devzero
From: devzero @ 2007-02-04 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: greg; +Cc: linux-kernel

First off, compliments to this announcement, I liked it very much!

Some comment regarding those "volunteers, waiting to get some real work" :)

> > OK, but why isn't your army of volunteers fixing them?

> They don't know about them, or they don't have the hardware to test?
> Seriously, let the kernel-janitor's project know about any issues you
> have and they will be glad to jump on it.  Those people are just
> chomping a the bit to do something a bit bigger than "compiler warning
> cleanups" :)

So many times i have seen good ideas brought up, kernel patches being written, posted to lkml, being developed outside mainline for a while and then being forgotten some time later due to lack of energy of some individual to get this into mainline.

If there is an noticeably number of talented programmers (unfortunately, i`m not) , so why not "feeding" them the right way ? Where is those public and transparent and moderated Linux-Kernel "ToDo"- or "Keep an eye on"-list, sorted by priorities, with sort of a "vote for this feature"-button, so those guys have something they can pick up? There is so much great stuff and ideas out there where they could put their work onto or getting involved, it just needs to be found or sort of being "managed" a little bit better.

For myself, i`m waiting for so quite some things to get "one step further", but they are more or less tied to some single individuals, for which you just cannot send some "hey, what`s up with your project"-message every second day. The interest in many nice projects often is quite low and evolution quite slow, but not only because of the fact that they aren`t great, but more because of not getting widely known. It`s not always missing specs, it`s also some missing noise/feedback for different features or missing of some "driving force" to bring things forward. How should one developer know that somebody needs a feature if those who could probably need it don`t request it? Maybe just because of the fact that they even imagine that such feature would be possible ?

Where is those efforts for fixing/integrating fantastic cowloop?
What about badram/badmem patch ?
Compressed Ccaching ?
Somebody helping with development of dm-loop or extend loop.c to support more than 256 devices ?
Replacement of proprietary, unstable and unelegant vmware-lopp for being able to mount vmware .vmdk files ? Internal Spec for this is open, dm-userspace could be some infrastructure for this, but the author seems to have other priorities....
dm-cow, zfs-fuse - anybody ?
Kernel based target for AoE (Ata over Ethernet) ?  (there are two independent implementations, but both got stuck at some early experimental stage)

Just my 2 cents.

Roland K.
Sysadmin/System Engineer

ps:
This isn`t meant to criticise any of you kernel developers since you`re doing fantastic work!

* Re: Free Linux Driver Development!
@ 2007-02-04  6:26 Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2007-02-04  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML; +Cc: bcm43xx devel

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 09:45:45PM EST, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 02:59:03PM +0100, Erik Mouw wrote:
>> I can't remember that kind of corruption ever being reported to the
>> bcm43xx-dev mailing list.

I came into this discussion late as I only read LKML in summary form, but I feel I need to address
several misconceptions here.

>Well I assumed it messed up the eeprom settings, since we had to go into
>the advanced driver settings and change it from 802.11b only back to
>auto mode and I would think those settings are stored in the eeprom if
>booting a 2.6.18 kernel and loading the bcm43xx driver can cause it to
>stop working, then it has to be an eeprom setting.

As Michael Buesch has explained, bcm43xx only changes the eeprom under very controlled circumstances
that never happen accidentally. It is much more likely that your Windows driver uses V4 firmware,
whereas bcm43xx uses V3. Without a power-off step to erase the firmware the results are likely to be
indeterminate.

>Actually I suppose the other posibility is that you simply have to power
>cycle before booting windows after linux to avoid any left over settings
>in the chip from being a problem. That may be what I did. Given I
>couldn't get the card to connect using the bcm43xx driver anyhow, I
>didn't spend too much time trying (I am fairly sure I set the AP to
>802.11g only though which may have been a problem).

It is _NOT_ true that bcm43xx only works with 802.11b. My AP is set in 802.11g-only mode and I have
been using bcm43xx with it for nearly a year. What is true is that none of the OFDM rates work
because of some unknown bug, probably in initialization. As a result, we are limited to a maximum
data rate of 11Mbs, but it is still running in 802.11g mode!

>> You could use a CardBus or USB card.
>
>I just don't like things sticking out that are breakable.
>
>> So are the bcm43xx maintainers.
>
>Excellent. Is the bcm43xx planning to get 802.11g mode working at some
>point? Is broadcom ever going to help out with any specs for their
>hardware or do they still mistakenly believe that end users are not
>their customers? Given the behaviour of broadcom over the years I know
>I don't intend to buy anything with a broadcom chip in it again, which
>means broadcom's behaviour directly means they will get less sales to the
>laptop makers, since some people will actively avoid anything with
>broadcom's hardware in it. :)

I certainly would hope for a even a little cooperation from Broadcom; however, it is not easy to
avoid getting their hardware, particularly with laptops. When I recently upgraded, my primary aims
were (1) a 14 inch screen  as the native resolution of a larger one makes things too small for my
eyes and reduced resolution looks crappy on an LCD, and (2) an AMD 64 X2 processor to run an x86_64
OS. The kind of wireless card contained within was not an issue, although the BCM4311 that I got
turned out to be a benefit as I became the first developer with the hardware needed to find and fix
two major outstanding bugs.

While I'm on my soapbox, I want to thank the group that reverse-engineered the Broadcom chips and
the group that did the early coding on the driver. Although the current driver still has its faults,
the fact that there is a working driver that doesn't hang or crash an SMP version of Linux and
offers usable wireless service for such a complicated piece of totally undocumented hardware is a
real tribute to those two groups. Thanks guys.

Larry Finger
bcm43xx Maintainer

* Re: Free Linux Driver Development!
@ 2007-02-02  4:54 Christoph Bartelmus
From: Christoph Bartelmus @ 2007-02-02  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:20:06 +0100 Greg KH wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 02:06:32PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> I'd really love if the same offer was extended to GPL out-of-tree
>> driver trees.
>
> This kind of offer has _always_ been there for out-of-tree GPL
> drivers. I have contacted many different groups and driver authors
> over the years to offer my help in trying to get their code into the
> mainline kernel.
>
> Some take me up on the offer, others ignore it, and still others
> activly refuse to do so, saying they want to stay out-of-the tree
> (lirc is one of these examples...)

I'm the LIRC maintainer. I don't know what let's you think LIRC wants to
stay out-of-the-tree.

I just made clear that I don't have the time to do the merging of LIRC
drivers to the kernel myself. In fact a lot of work still needs to be
done before LIRC drivers are ready to be included into the kernel.
Spreading the impression that LIRC refuses to work with kernel
developers is not particularly helpful...

Any help welcome.

Christoph

Pls Cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed.

* Re: Free Linux Driver Development!
@ 2007-01-31 13:06 Nicolas Mailhot
From: Nicolas Mailhot @ 2007-01-31 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: greg; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,

I'd really love if the same offer was extended to GPL out-of-tree driver
trees.

There are many out-of-tree drivers (ivtv, lirc, various webcam drivers,
enhanced USB keyboard handlers...) with merging not planified or taking
ages.

The associated hardware is useful enough someone wrote a driver.
There is "documentation" in the form of a working driver.
Sometimes there are already many FLOSS apps writen that depend on them.

Yet they languish out-of-tree, effectively sterilizing alternative efforts
just because people know they exist. Someone wrote an howto on how to plug
them in an ancient kernel, and that's good enough to remove a lot of the
merging incentive.

The common wisdom seems to be their authors will hammer LKML hard enough
the driver will eventually be merged. But these authors:
- get set in their ways like any human being
- usually put new features first and merging last
- may have decided merging was too much work
- may be struggling to do it alone
- may have asked LKML about merging once, got ignored/refused (for good,
bad, or obsolete reasons), and decided to spend their time on more
constructive work

So there are many reasons why merging will not happen as things stand.

These drivers are in many ways every bit as harmful as closed binary blobs
(making users miserable, killing alternatives, being a major reason old
kernel binaries get used long after security problems were identified and
fixed, etc). Merging/reworking them is easier than starting from
incomplete NDAed documentation. If (as this offer implies) there are good
driver authors waiting to do more drivering, why aren't those a priority?

As a side effect, cleaning up our own GPL community mess would help
convince hardware manufacturers working within the main kernel is the
right workable solution.

Nicolas Mailhot

[parent not found: <fa.vy0GBdNvEFvgi9ipVzdiBp0FpjI@ifi.uio.no>]
* Free Linux Driver Development!
@ 2007-01-30  1:29 Greg KH
                   ` (9 more replies)
From: Greg KH @ 2007-01-30  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Free Linux Driver Development!

Yes, that's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all companies
free Linux driver development.  No longer do you have to suffer through
all of the different examples in the Linux Device Driver Kit, or pick
through the thousands of example drivers in the Linux kernel source
tree trying to determine which one is the closest to what you need to
do.

All that is needed is some kind of specification that describes how your
device works, or the email address of an engineer that is willing to
answer questions every once in a while.  A few sample devices might be
good to have so that debugging doesn't have to be done by email, but if
necessary, that can be done.

In return, you will receive a complete and working Linux driver that is
added to the main Linux kernel source tree.  The driver will be written
by some of the members of the Linux kernel developer community (over
1500 strong and growing).  This driver will then be automatically
included in all Linux distributions, including the "enterprise" ones.
It will be automatically kept up to date and working through all Linux
kernel API changes.  This driver will work with all[1] of the different
CPU types supported by Linux, the largest number of CPU types supported
by any operating system ever before in the history of computing.

As for support, the driver will be supported through email by the
original developers, when they can help out, and by the "enterprise"
Linux distributors as part of their service agreements with their
customers.

If your company is worried about NDA issues surrounding your device's
specifications, we have arranged a program with OSDL/TLF's Tech Board to
provide the legal framework where a company can interact with a member
of the kernel community in order to properly assure that all needed NDA
requirements are fulfilled.

Now your developers will have more time to work on drivers for all of
the other operating systems out there, and you can add "supported on
Linux" to your product's marketing material.

This offer is in affect for all different types of devices, from USB
toys to PCI video devices to high-speed networking cards.  If you build
it, we can get Linux drivers working for it.

For any questions about this program, please feel free to respond to
this email, or contact me directly at greg@kroah.com.  I will also be
available at FreedomHEC 2007 <http://freedomhec.pbwiki.com/> held
adjacent to WinHEC, if anyone wants to bring devices and work
face-to-face.

thanks,

greg k-h

[1] for the CPUs that support the bus types that your device works on.