* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-25 17:11 Johannes Weiner
From: Johannes Weiner @ 2016-07-25 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hi,

I would like to self-nominate myself for this year's kernel summit.

I co-maintain cgroups and the memory controller and have been a
long-time contributor to the memory management subsystem. At Facebook,
I'm in charge of MM scalability and reliability in our fleet. Most
recently I have been working on reviving swap for SSDs and persistent
memory devices (https://lwn.net/Articles/690079/) as part of a bigger
anti-thrashing effort to make the VM recover swiftly and predictably
from load spikes. This has been a bit of a "lock yourself in a
basement" type project, which is why I missed the mechanimal
nomination based on sign-offs this year.

Thanks
Johannes

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-31  6:57 Olof Johansson
From: Olof Johansson @ 2016-07-31  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hi,

I'd like to nominate myself to the kernel summit this year.

I co-maintain arm-soc together with Arnd Bergmann (and Kevin Hilman),
often merging code that spans between our tree and various other
subsystem. Meeting other maintainers at Kernel Summit is usually
highly beneficial since it makes the whole process run smoother.

Topics I care about:

* Embedded/mobile platforms: We merge embedded as well as server
platform code, and interact with a lot of the various camps, including
the people stuck between the nasty downstream vendor trees and
upstream.
* Stable tree discussions. Having the discussion at last KS about
timing of releases was hugely beneficial, picking 4.4 as a solid base
for the year's devices.
* Maintainership, process discussions. arm-soc is one of the fairly
smooth-running maintainer groups but always looking to improve (and
share our experiences)
* Testing and making it easier for people to get tests in with their
code, even if we don't mandate it.
* Devicetree and platform description discussions always seem to be
going on, even when we think we've sorted out most existing issues. I
care a good amount about these as well.

-Olof

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-30  0:32 Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2016-07-30  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

I am nominating myself to attend the kernel summit.

I continue to maintain Debian's kernel package (unstable and stable
branches), and the 3.2 and 3.16 longterm branches at kernel.org.

I'm interested in:

- Stable/longterm maintenance
- Tracking (or avoiding) regressions
- Code signing for modules, firmware, etc.  (Debian is now starting to
  implement this.)
  - Relatedly, the securelevel patches or similar restrictions on
    userland to prevent subversion of code signing
- Documentation - making sure the post-DocBook documentation remains
  packageable and reproducible

Ben.

--

Ben Hutchings
Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment

* [Ksummit-discuss] self nomination
@ 2016-07-29 22:45 Mimi Zohar
From: Mimi Zohar @ 2016-07-29 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hi,

I would like to be included on any discussions relating to:
- key management/trust
- signature verification

I would be willing to give a status update on closing file
measurement/appraisal (signature verification) gaps, and hopefully
impress upon kernel developers not to introduce new gaps.

Mimi

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-29 15:13 Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz @ 2016-07-29 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hello,

I would like to self-nominate for the Kernel Summit 2016.

I'm the leader of the Tizen Kernel team in Samsung R&D Institute
Poland (SRPOL) which (together with Korean HQ Kernel team) develops
Linux Kernel for Tizen.org reference devices and works on support
for ARM Samsung Exynos SoCs in the mainline kernel.  I'm also
currently co-maintainer of mainline libata PATA drivers.

I'm particularly interested in the following topics proposed this
year:

- Kernel unit testing and generally all topics related to kernel
  testing.

  We have developed internal Tizen kernel testing system in SRPOL
  and are still working on enhancing it.  If possible in the future
  we would like to make it (or at least some parts of it) available
  to external developers (i.e. using kernelci.org infrastructure).

  I would also like to discuss the ways to make it easier for testing
  kernels by developers on old and/or rare devices (especially in
  the context of IDE subsystem to libata PATA migration).

- stable workflow - we are basing Tizen.org kernels on LTS kernels
  so any ways to improve the stable/LTS kernels quality are in
  our area of interest.

- Bus IPC.  I can act as a bridge to developers from Tizen System
  team in SRPOL who are working on IPC in Tizen (dbus/kdbus).  I can
  provide input to the discussion from Tizen's requirements POV (i.e.
  we need our IPC to be container-aware).

Thank you for considering.

Best regards,
--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Samsung R&D Institute Poland
Samsung Electronics

* [Ksummit-discuss] self nomination
@ 2016-07-28 17:29 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2016-07-28 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

I have been known to be OK with the occasional storage or obscure non
-x86 architecture or even the occasional mm issues.

I'm principally interested in

 * Storage issues (not that these ever come up at the kernel summit)
 * In kernel container technologies (gcroups, namespaces and how we
   apply the granular virtualizations) since this has been one of my
   foci for five years now.
 * Security, keys and the TPM.  I'm mostly working on this above the
   kernel for a more secure cloud environment, but this means I have a
   lot of TSS and TPM knowledge and I'd love to share the pain ...

James

* [Ksummit-discuss] self nomination
@ 2016-07-27 23:20 Davidlohr Bueso
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Davidlohr Bueso @ 2016-07-27 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hi,

I would like to nominate myself for kernel summit this year.

I hack on various core subsystems mainly in the name of performance and
am particularly interested in the following topics/discussions:

- C++11 atomics/kernel memory model.
- Upstreaming PREEMPT_RT.
- Regression tracking.
- (and to a lesser degree unit testing)

In addition, I'm wondering if there's any interest in a performance
session (getting to know some of the bottlenecks that are currently
making folks cry), like Chris Mason has been doing in past kernel
summits for fb specific workloads.

Thanks,
Davidlohr

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-27 14:54 Mark Rutland
From: Mark Rutland @ 2016-07-27 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hi,

I would like to self nominate for the kernel summit this year.

I co-maintain device tree bindings, and the ARM PSCI driver. I also
contribute to the low-level architecture code for arm and arm64.

I'm interested in hardening efforts that are applicable either
generically or to arm/arm64, and have been involved with some of the
work so far.

Having been bitten by a few issues in the past, I'm also interested in
what we can do to ensure that changes to common infrastructure don't
leave architectures broken (or in a sub-optimal state). I'm interested
in unit testing, regression tracking, and stable workflow.

I'm interested in discussions regarding:

- device tree bindings / subsystem divisions
- kernel hardening / self protection
- kernel unit testing
- regression tracking
- stable workflow

I will also be attending Linux Plumbers Conference 2016.

Thanks,
Mark.

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-27 13:57 Lorenzo Pieralisi
From: Lorenzo Pieralisi @ 2016-07-27 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hello,

I would like to self-nominate for the 2016 kernel summit.

I am currently co-maintaining the ARM PSCI firmware interface,
some ARM CPU idle drivers and ARM platforms code and I am a core
contributor of ARM power management, ACPI and PCI code.

I will attend the Linux Plumbers Conference 2016 as PCI
microconference co-leader and take part in the Power
Management microconference, among other topics.

For my maintainership role, I am quite interested in attending the
plenary KS sessions core tracks (that are currently under discussion
in this mailing list), in particular:

  - (group) maintainership models
  - Stable kernels process and workflow
  - kthread freezer clean-up

Since I am involved in power management and firmware interfaces I
am particularly interested in topics revolving around ACPI and
device tree integration in the corresponding workshops and breakout
sessions (other than the LPC microconferences already mentioned).

Thank you very much for considering.

Regards,
Lorenzo

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-27  4:46 Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2016-07-27  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

I'd like to self nominate for this kernel summit this year.

I'm the platform-drivers-x86 maintainer, and am interested in discussions
regarding:

  - maintainer group process and tooling
  - easing the non-kernel-code barriers to contribution
    (eliminating "mechanical failures")

I'm involved with various efforts around Real-Time and Safety Critical Linux and
would be interested in discussions around:

  - Upstreaming PREEMPT_RT
  - Developing a "safety culture" and any overlap that may have with security

Finally, as part of my platform enabling responsibilities, I'm interested in any
developments in the stable process.

Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-27  0:50 Sergey Senozhatsky
From: Sergey Senozhatsky @ 2016-07-27  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hello,

I'd like to self nominate for the kernel summit this year.

Interested in printk-related discussions (async printk, KERN_CONT printing,
async console_unlock(), panic printk(), etc.), stable workflow and some
other topics.

	-ss

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-26 23:59 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2016-07-26 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

I'd like to self nominate for the kernel summit this year.

As the linux-next maintainer, I have interest in most process topics in
particular the maintainership processes.

Also, being a bit isolated down under, meeting in person allows me to
remember that you are all people really :-)

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-26 22:30 Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2016-07-26 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

I'd like to nominate myself for the kernel summit this year. I am part
of Chrome OS kernel team and I also maintain drivers/input in mainline.

I am interested in the following topics/discussions:

- stable process and regression tracking;

- maintainership process. I am still struggling to figure out how I
  can spread the load and would love to hear some ideas;

- discussions regarding subsystem boundaries (iio, input, hwmon, etc)
  and how we can provide better guidance to driver authors to find a
  home for their drivers;

- I would like to sync up with people and discuss [lack of] progress
  on topic of device probe ordering (including handling of deferred
  probes, asynchronous probes, etc).

Thanks!

--
Dmitry

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2016-07-26 15:44 David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2016-07-26 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

I'd like to nominate myself for the kernel summit this year.

I am very interested in toolchain-related discussion, looking at what
the compiler(s) can do better and how we can make better use of them.
Including types and static analysis, and potentially making use of
LLVM.

And also the memory model — like the byteswapping that I've worked on
before, it makes a lot of sense to let the compiler *see* what's going
on rather than hiding it in opaque inline assembly which precludes
optimisations. If we have to make an effort to ensure the ordering
models are compatible, that may well be a price worth paying. It's not
like we didn't already have work to do on ensuring that the coherency
models we offer to (e.g.) device drivers through things like
readl_relaxed() are well-specified in a way that can be implemented
efficiently across architectures.

I'm interested in testing topics, and how we can make it easier for
contributors (and 'janitors') to build simple test cases which run in a
consistent environment, rather than doing their own ad-hoc testing.

I would very much like to be involved with any discussion on
asynchronous and early console output.

I'm also interested in the signature/key management topic if that
happens.

David.Woodhouse@intel.com                              Intel Corporation

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 5760 bytes --]

* [Ksummit-discuss] self nomination
@ 2016-07-25 21:46 Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2016-07-25 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hello,

I would like to self-nominate for the 2016 kernel summit.

I'm the lead kernel developer working on kernelci.org,
backup/assistant/3rd-string/sick-leave co-maintainer of the arm-soc
tree, as well as co-maintainer of a couple of the many ARM
sub-architectures.

I'm most interested in discussions around kernel testing infrastructure,
and in particular, how to improve testing for the various stable and
LTS-based trees.

Thank you for considering,

Kevin

* [Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Kernel Hardening
@ 2015-08-24  4:20 James Morris
From: James Morris @ 2015-08-24  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss; +Cc: Emily Ratliff

I'd like to propose a security topic, "Kernel Hardening" (or "Kernel Self
Protection"), to discuss how we can better mitigate vulnerabilities
arising from kernel bugs.

We have some measures in place, although we are really not doing
everything we can, as demonstrated from time to time when vulnerabilities
arise which are mitigated by protections in grsecurity (for example), but
not by mainline.  Much of the necessary work has already been done in that
project, and as many will know, there have been significant challenges
involved in past efforts to bring these techniques into mainline.  In some
cases, the performance hit has been too high for maintainers to accept,
and I wonder if we can re-visit some of these cases, with new approaches
or perspectives on cost/benefit.

There are also potentially promising approaches to mitigation with other
technologies such as KASan and gcc plugins, as well as evolving hardware
features.

The aim of this session would be to bring relevant core kernel maintainers
together with representatives of the research community and figure out a
way to work together to improve hardening and mitigation in the Linux
kernel.  We'd discuss what gaps we currently have, and what code or
techniques already exist that can be incorporated into mainline to close
them.  We'd identify issues that maintainers may have and try and find
ways to address those issues.  From this, I'd hope that we'd develop an
overall picture of what needs to be done and a practical idea of how to
move forward.  We may not necessarily resolve all issues in this session,
but we can at least characterize them and go away and think more about
them.

We could also talk to the Core Infrastructure Initiative folk if we
discover potentially useful tasks with no owners -- they may be able to
fund developers for them.  It would likely be useful to provide CII with a
status report after the session in any case.

I'd recommend Kees Cook be involved, due to his existing efforts in kernel
hardening.  I think it would be good to invite one or two expert security
researchers in this area -- Kees would know who.  In terms of core kernel
folk, I'd suggest Ingo and akpm, as a starting point.

Comments?

--
James Morris
<jmorris@namei.org>

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2015-08-11  5:05 Haggai Eran
From: Haggai Eran @ 2015-08-11  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hi,

Excuse me for the late email, but I would like to nominate myself for
the core discussion. I'm interested in participating in the
compute-offload devices discussions, as well as the FPGA programming topic.

I've been part of the team that developed the RDMA subsystem support for
IO paging, and the mlx5 driver implementation.

Regards,
Haggai

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2015-07-31  9:15 David Howells
From: David Howells @ 2015-07-31  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

I would like to nominate myself for this years KS.  I'm interested in:

 (*) Compiler features and cross-compilers having been maintaining a set of
     cross compilers for kernel.  I've been watching gcc-5 come out and find
     new things to warning about in the kernel.

 (*) Filesystem unioning - overlayfs, unionmount and the way LSMs interact and
     the way unioning metadata is stored in the fs.

 (*) Signature management - keys, modules, firmware.

 (*) Media drivers - I've been working to improve a couple of these.

David

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination
@ 2015-07-31  2:55 Sasha Levin
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.02.1507310650220.2218@localhost6.localdomain6>
From: Sasha Levin @ 2015-07-31  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hi folks,

I'd like to nominate myself to this year's kernel summit.

Mainly I'd like to talk about improving testing around the kernel, both by catching bugs
and by improving the quality of debug output that comes out of the kernel.

As the maintainer of the 3.18 LTS line I'd also like to discuss various -stable kernel
topics that came up previously on the mailing list.

Thanks,
Sasha