* LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-14 19:19 H. Peter Anvin
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2001-05-14 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

First of all, I apologize for not having sent this notice out sooner.
This kind of writing is very painful to deal with.

Linus Torvalds has requested a moratorium on new device number
assignments. His hope is that a new and better method for device space
handing will emerge as a result.

Alan Cox has requested that I maintain a forked registry for his -ac
kernel patch tree.  I have agreed to do so once I have forked off the
"final" version of the registry for Linus' tree.  At that time I will
process the backlog for the benefit of the -ac registry only.  Please
have patience until I can get that to happen.

Please note that this is not my decision (in fact, I have serious
concerns with it.)  In particular, /dev namespace coordination still
applies.

Sincerely,

	H. Peter Anvin
	The Linux Assigned Names and Numbers Authority

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-15 17:00 David Balazic
From: David Balazic @ 2001-05-15 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue May 15 2001 , Linus Torvalds wrote :
> On Tue, 15 May 2001, Neil Brown wrote:
> >
> > Finally, how do I say that I want the root filesystem to be on a
> > particular "mdp" device+partition. I cannot assume that my device
> > will be the first to register with the "disk" layer, so I cannot be
> > sure that "root=/dev/diska1" will work.
>
> You have never been able to really assume that. Disks move around.
>
> A lot of people seem to think that controller type or location on the PCI
> bus should somehow have some "meaning", and that it guarantees that the
> disks don't move in the namespace. That's crap. You can do that in user
> space ("what controller are you on?") if you really really care.

So what is your solution for preventing a boot failure after disks/partitions
change ?
volume labels/UUID ?

--
David Balazic
--------------

[parent not found: <mng==Pine.LNX.4.10.10105151151380.22038-100000@www.transvirtual.com>]
* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-15 21:26 Andrzej Krzysztofowicz
From: Andrzej Krzysztofowicz @ 2001-05-15 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: jlundell, jgarzik, jsimmons, Alan Cox, neilb, hpa, kernel list

> On Tue, 15 May 2001, Jonathan Lundell wrote:
> > >
> > >Keep it informational. And NEVER EVER make it part of the design.
> >
> > What about:
> >
> > 1 (network domain). I have two network interfaces that I connect to
> > two different network segments, eth0 & eth1;
>
> So?
>
> Informational. You can always ask what "eth0" and "eth1" are.
>
> There's another side to this: repeatability. A setup should be
> _repeatable_.

It stops to be repetable unless you are able to define *which* interface
become eg. eth0 after boot. Think of hotplug...

> This is what we have now. Network devices are called "eth0..N", and nobody
                                                                      ^^^^^^
Not true. I did. Once :)

> is complaining about the fact that the numbering is basically random. It
> is _repeatable_ as long as you don't change your hardware setup, and the
> numbering has effectively _nothing_ to do with "location".

Consider the following situation:
- you have three ethernet adapters supported by a single driver; assume
  they are *significantly* different
- you hotplug a spare adapter, supported by the same driver
- your spare adapter become eth0 after reboot...
- you need access to a NFS server on former eth2 during boot

How would you configure the system to boot regardless the spare adapter is
plugged in or not?

> You don't say "oh, I have my network card in PCI bus #2, slot #3,
> subfunction #1, so I should do 'ifconfig netp2s3f1'". Right?

ifconfig eth-00:20:12:34:ab:cd ?

I'd prefer using MAC address here, but it is also not good as MAC need not
to be unique.

> The location of the device is _meaningless_.

Unfortunately sometimes it is. Rare cases. I used to hit one.

> So? Same deal. You don't have eth0..N, you have disk0..N.
>
> What's the problem? It's _repeatable_, in that as long as you don't change
> your disks, they'll show up the same way. But the 0..N doesn't imply that
> the disks are anywhere special.

Not good comparison. You can mount filesystems on disks by UUID.
You should be independent on disk names then.

> Linux gets this _somewhat_ right. The /dev/sdxxx naming is correct (or, if
> you look at only IDE devices, /dev/hdxxx). The problem is that we don't
> have a unified namespace, so unlike eth0..N we do _not_ have a unified
> namespace for disks.

Andrzej
  Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz               ankry@mif.pg.gda.pl
  phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math.,   Technical University of Gdansk

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-15 21:27 Timothy A. Seufert
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Timothy A. Seufert @ 2001-05-15 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 May 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:
>> Driver can export a tree and we mount it on fb0. After that you have
>> the whole set - yes, /dev/fb0/colourspace, etc. - no problem. And no
>> need to do mknod, BTW. Yes, we'll need to use /dev/fb0/frame for
>> frame itself. BFD...
>
>Actually, we can just continue to use "/dev/fb0", which would continue to
>work the way ti has always worked.
>
>It's a mistake to think that a directory has to be a directory. Or to
>think that a device node has to be a device node. It's perfectly ok to
>just think of it as namespaces. So opening /dev/fb0 continues to open the
>"master fd", whatever that means (in this case, the actual frame
>buffer). The namespaces _under_ /dev/fb0 would be the control channels, or
>in fact _anything_ that the frame buffer driver wants to expose.

Why not take it a step further than just devices?  This is a perfect
model for supporting named forks.

In fact, I believe this is how MacOS X is exposing HFS+ named forks to
the UNIX side of things.  (HFS+ supports not just the old style
Macintosh data and resource forks but an arbitrary number of named
forks.)  So: you open "foo", you get what an older MacOS would consider
the "data" fork.  Open "foo/rsrc" and you get the resource fork.  Open
"foo/joesfork" and you get whatever Joe wanted to use a named fork for.

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-15 22:21 David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2001-05-15 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: lkml

> And my opinion is that the "hot-plugged" approach works for devices even
> if they are soldered down ...

Yep.  Though I tend to look at the whole problem as "autoconfiguration"
lately.  Solving device naming (even the major/minor subproblem) is only
one part of having a complete autoconfiguration infrastructure.

> Now, if we just fundamentally try to think about any device as being
> hot-pluggable, you realize that things like "which PCI slot is this device
> in" are completely _worthless_ as device identification, because they
> fundamentally take the wrong approach, and they don't fit the generic
> approach at all.

Well, "completely" goes too far IMO.  Unless by "identifier" you imply
something of which there's only one?  In my book, devices can have many
kinds of identifiers.

The reason is that such "physical" identifiers (or "device topology" IDs)
may be all that's available to distinguish some devices.  For example,
network adapters (no major/minor numbers :) and parallel/printer/serial
ports may have no better "stable" (over reboots) identifier available.

Without "stable" names, it's too easy to have bad things happen, like
your "confidential materials" printer output get redirected into the
lobby printer, or trust your network DMZ as if it were the internal
network.  Given hotplugging, I think the best solution to such issues
does involve exposing topological IDs such as PCI slot names.
(What IDs the different applications use is a different issue.)

- Dave

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-15 22:49 David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2001-05-15 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jsimmons; +Cc: lkml

> > > I couldn't agree with you more. It gives me headaches at work. One note,
> > > their is a except to the eth0 thing. USB to USB networking. It uses usb0,
> > > etc. I personally which they use eth0.
> >
> > USB to USB networking cables aren't ethernet.
>
> I'm talking about a wireless connection. ipaq USB cradle to PC.

Sounds rather wire-ful to me ... :)

It's not an Ethernet, which is why it doesn't masquerade as one.
At least, not more than necessary to interop with at least one set
of Win32 drivers.  (And one hopes, more in the future.)

Until there's some way that network interfaces can expose more
information to sysadmin tools, it seems smarter to set things up
so they can't confuse USB and Ethernet links.  Scripts can "know"
the various differences, and accomodate more.  One example
that's come up:  an MTU closer to two USB 1.1 frames will
give better throughput at negligible cost, other than precluding
some bridging setups involving N-BaseT.

- Dave

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-15 23:16 David Brownell
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: David Brownell @ 2001-05-15 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mjfrazer; +Cc: lkml

> > The "eth0..N" naming is done RIGHT!

Only if it's augmented by additional device IDs, such as the
"what 's the physical connection for this interface" sort of
primitive that's been mentioned.

> Nothing to do with the kernel but, one should then argue that the
> current stuff in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is broken for hotplug as
> placing a new network adapter into your bus will renumber your interfaces
> causing them to be ifconfig'd wrongly.

Not just hotplug -- any configuration where these identifiers
can change "meaning" (which physical device?) over time.
For example, adding/removing/swapping hardware does it too.

>     You'd want to associate the IP
> configuration stuff with the particular network interface, by MAC address.

Bob Glamm had the right sort of idea:  if the kernel is going
to be assigning tool-visible device names, the tools need to
have and use additional device metadata, perhaps like this:

>  # start up networking
>    for i in eth0 eth1 eth2; do
>        identify device $i
>        get configuration/config procedure for device $i identity
>        configure $i
>    done

In fact that "identify" step is probably worth enabling for EVERY (!)
device, not just network interfaces.  (Which, since they don't show
up with major/minor device numbers today, are perhaps a bit offtopic
for the original thrust of this thread ... :)

I suppose that for network interface names, some convention for
interface ioctls would suffice to solve that "identify" step.  PCI
devices would return the slot_name, USB devices need something
like a patch I posted to linux-usb-devel a few months back.

- Dave

* RE: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-15 23:49 Bingner Sam J. Contractor RSIS
From: Bingner Sam J. Contractor RSIS @ 2001-05-15 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Richard Gooch', Alan Cox
  Cc: ingo.oeser, torvalds, neilb, jgarzik, hpa, linux-kernel, viro

OK, just correct me if I get this wrong, but this code is taking the LAST 2
characters of the device name and verifying that it is "cd".  Which would
mean that the standard states that "/dev/ginsucd" would be a CD-ROM drive?

That is why I feel a "name" of a device handle shouldnt set how a driver
operates in this fashion... if you make a small error in your compare, you
might try to eject a Ginsu Cabbage Dicer instead of a cdrom drive... OOPS!

	Sam Bingner

Alan Cox writes:
> > 	len = readlink ("/proc/self/3", buffer, buflen);
> > 	if (strcmp (buffer + len - 2, "cd") != 0) {
> > 		fprintf (stderr, "Not a CD-ROM! Bugger off.\n");
> > 		exit (1);
>
> And on my box cd is the cabbage dicer whoops

Actually, no, because it's guaranteed that a trailing "/cd" is a
CD-ROM. That's the standard.

				Regards,

					Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current:   rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca
-

* RE: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-16  0:01 Bingner Sam J. Contractor RSIS
From: Bingner Sam J. Contractor RSIS @ 2001-05-16  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Alex Bligh - linux-kernel', Linus Torvalds, Jonathan Lundell
  Cc: Jeff Garzik, James Simmons, Alan Cox, Neil Brown, H. Peter Anvin,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, viro

I believe thats why there are persistant superblocks on the RAID partitions.
You can switch them around, and it still knows which drive holds which RAID
partition...  That's the only way booting off RAID works, and the only
reason for the "RAID Autodetect" partition type... you can find those
shuffled partitions correctly.  The only time it really looks at the file,
is if you try to rebuild the partition I believe... and some other
circumstance that dosn't come to mind.

	Sam Bingner

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) @ 2001-05-16  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The argument that "if you use numbering based on where in the
> SCSI chain
> the disk is, disks don't pop in and out" is absolute crap.
> It's not true
> even for SCSI any more (there are devices that will aquire
> their location
> dynamically), and it has never been true anywhere else. Give it up.

We could do something like baptizing disks.. Fix some location
(i.e. the absolutely last sector of the disk or the partition table or
whatever) and store there some 32-bit ID
(could be a random number, a progressive number, whatever).

At that point it would not matter where the disk is anymore.
Just like with ext2's disklabels used as partition indicators in fstab.
Of course this does raise some problems (what happens if I move the
disk for another computer? Should IDs be random? And if so, how is
numbering done? What should we do if there are duplicate IDs?).

This is a solution as good (or as bad) as any.

Don't shoot at the piano player.

--
	/kinkie

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-16 13:11 mike_phillips
From: mike_phillips @ 2001-05-16 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bogdan Costescu

> The same situation appears when using bonding.o. For several years,
> Don Becker's (and derived) network drivers support changing MAC address
> when the interface is down. So Al's /dev/eth/<n>/MAC has different
values
> depending on whether bonding is active or not. Should /dev/eth/<n>/MAC
> always have the original value (to be able to uniquely identify this
card)
> or the in-use value (used by ARP, I believe) ? Or maybe have a
> /dev/eth/<n>/MAC_in_use ?

Token ring has the same problem as well, most token ring adapters support
setting a LAA.

Some solution would be useful though. Original mac sounds do-able.

Mike

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-16 13:13 Jesse Pollard
From: Jesse Pollard @ 2001-05-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: glamm, Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Jonathan Lundell, Jeff Garzik, James Simmons, Alan Cox,
	Neil Brown, H. Peter Anvin, Linux Kernel Mailing List, viro

Bob Glamm <glamm@mail.ece.umn.edu>:

> Finally, there has to be an *easy* way of identifying devices from software.
> You're right, I don't care if my network cards are numbered 0-1-2, 2-0-1,
> or in any other permutation, *as long as I can write something like this*:
>
>   # start up networking
>   for i in eth0 eth1 eth2; do
>       identify device $i
>       get configuration/config procedure for device $i identity
>       configure $i
>   done
>
> Ideally, the identity of device $i would remain the same across reboots.
> Note that the device isn't named by its identity, rather, the identity is
> acquired from the device.
>
> This gets difficult for certain situations but I think those situations
> are rare.  Most modern hardware I've seen has some intrinsic identification
> built on board.

Not that rare here - HIPPI, parallel, serial lines, fibre channel, FDDI
interfaces... Anywhere there are two or more interfaces that do not or
cannot carry self identification. Consider the problem of two rocket port
multiplexor adapters where one uses high speed devices, another lower speed.
If the interfaces are swapped, which is the high speed? Or multiple parallel
interfaces. Which one has the color printer?

Even in cases with ethernet.. If there are two interfaces, which one is
eth0. Only the MAC address knows for sure, and some of the interfaces allow
changing the MAC address. It depends entirely on the wiring, not the MAC
as to which IP to assign. This is doable using DHCP, but not static IP.
Serial/parallel interfaces don't have that option. Neither do FDDI devices
broadcast on a FDDI isn't really defined.

> > Linux gets this right. We don't give 100Mbps cards different names from
> > 10Mbps cards - and pcmcia cards show up in the same namespace as cardbus,
> > which is the same namespace as ISA. And it doesn't matter what _driver_ we
> > use.
> >
> > The "eth0..N" naming is done RIGHT!
> >
> > > 2 (disk domain). I have multiple spindles on multiple SCSI adapters.
> >
> > So? Same deal. You don't have eth0..N, you have disk0..N.
> [...]
> > Linux gets this _somewhat_ right. The /dev/sdxxx naming is correct (or, if
> > you look at only IDE devices, /dev/hdxxx). The problem is that we don't
> > have a unified namespace, so unlike eth0..N we do _not_ have a unified
> > namespace for disks.
>
> This numbering seems to be a kernel categorization policy.  E.g.,
> I have k eth devices, numbered eth0..k-1.  I have m disks, numbered
> disc0..m-1, I have n video adapters, numbered fb0..n-1, etc.  This
> implies that at some point someone will have to maintain a list of
> device categories.
>
> IMHO the example isn't consistent though.  ethXX devices are a different
> level of classification from diskYY.  I would argue that *all* network
> devices should be named net0, net1, etc., be they Ethernet, Token Ring, Fibre
> Channel, ATM.  Just as different disks be named disk0, disk1, etc., whether
> they are IDE, SCSI, ESDI, or some other controller format.

Ummm... not sure. Fibre channel attached to disks are/should be treated
differently from fibre channel attached to compute clusters. Different
characteristics of use. Ethernet/fibre/FDDI/ATM all have drastically different
characteristics and have to be initialized differently. Even HIPPI can be
used as a network device... But it is also a storage attachment device.
Different characteristics, different MTU.

There must still be a way to specify/identify this uniqueness.

Looking at SCSI:

	1. hardware controller driver
	2. SCSI mid layer
	3. device specific driver

The mid level is used to make multiple harware controllers look the same
to the device specific drivers. This heirarchy must also be identified, and
in some cases (non SCSI issues) should be initialized differently.

When there are two (or more) hardware controllers, there may need to be
different ways to force the hardware controller to scan for newly attached
devices. The mid layer may have to scan for new/replaced hardware controllers
(hot swap PCI), the device specific drivers may need to scan for new units
(possibly initiated from lower levels, possibly from external request).

Each unit at each level needs to be able to be addressed.

Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: pollard@navo.hpc.mil

* RE: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-16 15:06 Khachaturov, Vassilii
From: Khachaturov, Vassilii @ 2001-05-16 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'H. Peter Anvin', Alan Cox
  Cc: Chip Salzenberg, Linus Torvalds, Neil Brown, Jeff Garzik,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, viro

Well, even if you spank the future violators, what about the current
overlaps?
E.g., the CD-ROM ioctls are overlapping
with the STREAMS ioctls (the latter ones used by LiS and honored by glibc).

V.

@ 2001-05-17  0:09 Dunlap, Randy
From: Dunlap, Randy @ 2001-05-17  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'H. Peter Anvin', Alan Cox
  Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven, Linus Torvalds, Jonathan Lundell,
	Jeff Garzik, James Simmons, Neil Brown,

hpa wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > Are FireWire (and USB) disks always detected in the same
> > > order? Or does it
> > > behave like ADB, where you never know which
> > > mouse/keyboard is which mouse/keyboard?
> >
> > USB disks are required (haha etc) to have serial numbers.
> > Firewire similarly has unique disk identifiers.

Bulk-only USB storage is required to have serial numbers.
E.g., Zip drives, probably USB hard drives and CDs.
Drives that use CBI (control/bulk/interrupt) transport (mostly
floppies) are not required to have serial numbers.
(Cost thing, of course.)

> How about for other device classes?

Mice?  no way.  Keyboards?  nope.
Webcams?  nope.
Printers?  optional.
Audio?  no.
Communication?  not mentioned in the spec.
Hub?  not mentioned in the spec.

~Randy

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-17  0:18 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2001-05-17  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgooch, torvalds
  Cc: alan, geert, hpa, ingo.oeser, jgarzik, linux-kernel, neilb, viro

The LANANA discussion has forked into a forest of vaguely related
discussions.  If I am not mistaken the only real question is
how user space and kernel space communicate device identities.

Here "user space" is very different from "users".
Devices have a device path and device contents.

For the user it is very desirable to recognize things by contents.
One invents labels and similar schemes, both readable with the eye
and readable with software.
But devices vary quite a lot and labeling schemes vary quite a lot
and user needs vary quite a lot.
Clearly, recognizing a device by contents is something that belongs
to user space.

Of course the kernel can make functions available to simplify
the work of a device manager, but the actual work of making the
correspondence between the identity of a device as seen by the user
and the device path belongs to user space. Be it a boot-time setup
script working from a data base, or a daemon.

(A somewhat weaker function also belongs to user space:
Even if the user has not specified a name for a device
it may be that the device has a serial number or other
recognizable information, so that user space can guess
or be sure that a certain device is the same as something
seen earlier, perhaps before the last reboot.)

That was the user. She thinks about "my boot partition".
And mount sees "UUID=e70bde8e-34d7-11d... /boot ext2 ..."
or "LABEL=Boot /boot ext2 ..." and searches /proc/partitions for
things that, when interpreted as an ext2 filesystem, have
the specified UUID or label.

The communication between user space and kernel is not in terms
of device "contents", since the kernel doesnt know about such
things. The kernel knows only one thing: the device path.
(the driver used, together with all parameters, the port address,
the SCSI ID, the disk subinterval, ...)

But this path is a very complicated object. Moreover, it contains
a lot of items that the user has never heard of. It is a bad idea
to try to use such paths.

So we have: user space has file names and uses open() or mount().
Kernel space has device paths.

In principle the kernel could just number the devices it sees 1,2,...
and export information about them, so that user space can choose
the right number.
The part about exporting information is good. User space needs to
be able to ask if a certain beast is a CD reader, and if so what
manufacturer and model.
But the part about numbering 1,2,... may not be good enough, e.g.
because it does not survive reboots. If we remain Unix-like and use
device nodes in user space to pair a file name with a number, then
it would be very nice if the number encoded the device path uniquely.
Many programs expect this.
It cannot be done in all cases, but a good approximation is obtained
if the number is a hash of the device path. In so far the hash is
collision free we obtain numbers that stay unique over a reboot.

Andries

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-17  8:58 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2001-05-17  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andries.Brouwer, mike.anderson
  Cc: alan, geert, hpa, ingo.oeser, jgarzik, linux-kernel, neilb,
	rgooch, torvalds, viro

> I disagree that the kernel should apply sequence numbers

You did not read my text. I do not propose the kernel should.
(Quite the contrary, in fact.)

* Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
@ 2001-05-17 20:00 Brian Wheeler
From: Brian Wheeler @ 2001-05-17 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[ I normally just lurk and read the archives, but...here's where I get into
  trouble! ]

It seems to me that there are several issues that have come up in this thread,
but here are my thoughts on some of them:

* Identifying hardware:
	Since we don't want to use topology as the primary method of
  identifying a device, perhaps it could be the secondary method.  If a device
  id consisted of several parts, userspace could make an educated guess about
  which devices correspond to which names, across reboots.  Consider an ID
  consisting of:
	* vendor
	* model
	* serial number
	* content-cookie
	* topology-cookie
  The two cookie values are opaque, but reproducable.  The content cookie might
  be an MD5 of the partition table of a disk, or its serial number, or
  something to that effect.  The topology cookie would some topology
  parameters (such as mem address, irq, io ports, slot #, etc) which could be
  used to identify the device later.  These are only used for identification,
  not for discovering topology.

  If all 5 fields match, then we know what it is.  If only topology-cookie is
  different, then it just moved.  If content-cookie is different then it might
  be a different device  (There's a trickyness to partitioning, I suppose).

  I suppose these ID fields could also be used by a userspace tool to
  load/unload drivers as necessary.

  The id could also determine the device is only inaccessable (not removed)
  when it disappears.  So, if disk5 disappeared on reboot, the next disk
  added would be given an ID at the end of the list, while disk5 would remain
  unused.  Only on a 'cleanup' would disk5 become reassignable.  This fixes
  issues like a device being unpowered on boot and a new one being powered up.

* User-space device naming
  I think the diskN naming is nice.  "randomly assigned" major ids won't be a
  problem, except on NFS mounted /dev directories.  If the kernel maintained
  a filesystem (like devfs or proc) which always managed the "currently
  available" devices the only problem to solve would be dealing with software
  which opens the /dev node to get a driver loaded.

  <pipe_dream>
  It would be very cool if the dev filesystem could be exported to other linux
  boxes, so you could transparently have access to block devices (like nbd does
  now) and character devices (like the sound card)

  mount -t dev -o other_machine /dev/other_machine
  cat foo.au > /dev/other_machine/audio &
  </pipe_dream>

* IOCTL
  Since ioctl() is commonly regarded as a kluge, is there any reason why it
  couldn't be replaced by the /dev/fb0/frame0 thing that was described earlier?
  The libc implementation of ioctl could convert the binary data back into
  text calls.  Gross, but possible...though it would probably be better to just
  depreciate the ioctl mechanism.   It could also package it for remote
  usage (see my pipe_dream above).

  If device info/controls are tied to subdirectory entries, it would be nice
  to be able to get a device's capabilities via existance checking...
  I.E. '-e /dev/disk0/eject' could check of the device is ejectable.

Brian Wheeler
bdwheele@indiana.edu

[parent not found: <7146.1033580256@warthog.cambridge.redhat.com>]