* -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status
@ 2005-06-21  6:54 Andrew Morton
                   ` (18 more replies)
From: Andrew Morton @ 2005-06-21  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

This summarises my current thinking on various patches which are presently
in -mm.  I cover large things and small-but-controversial things.  Anything
which isn't covered here (and that's a lot of material) is probably a "will
merge", unless it obviously isn't.

(If you reply to this email it would be a good idea to alter the Subject:
to reflect which feature you are discussing)

git-ocfs

    The OCFS2 filesystem.  OK by me, although I'm not sure it's had enough
    review.

sparsemem

    OK by me for a merge.  Need to poke arch maintainers first, check that
    they've looked at it sufficiently closely.

vm-early-zone-reclaim

    Needs some convincing benchmark numbers to back it up.  Otherwise OK.

avoiding-mmap-fragmentation

    Tricky.  Addresses vm area fragmentation issues due to recent
    optimisations to the free-area lookup code.  Will merge.

periodically-drain-non-local-pagesets

    Will merge

pcibus_to_node and users

    Will merge

CONFIG_HZ for x86 and ia64: changes default HZ to 250, make HZ Kconfigurable.

    Will merge (will switch default to 1000 Hz later if that seems necessary)

dmi-*.patch

    Will merge.  I have a comment "The below break x440".  Maybe it got
    fixed.  We'll doubtless hear if not.

xen-*.patch

    These are little cleanups and abstractions which make a Xen merge
    easier.  May as well merge them.

CPU hotplug for x86 and x86_64

    Not really useful on current hardware, but these provide
    infrastructure which some power management patches need, and it seems
    sensible to make the reference architecture support hotplug.  Will merge.

swsusp-on-SMP

    Will merge.

cfq version 3

    Not sure.  Jens seems to be setting up a few git trees.  On hold.

RCUification of the key management code

    Don't know - dhowells seemed diffident last time we discussed this.

timers-fixes-improvements.patch

    SMP speedups for the core timer code.  It was bumpy, but this seems
    stable now.  Will merge.

kprobes-*

    Will merge

rapidio-*

    Will merge.

namespace*.patch

    Awaiting viro ack.

xtensa architecture

    Is xtensa now, or will it be in the future a sufficiently popular
    architecture to justify the cost of having this code in the tree?

    Heaven knows.  Will merge.

dlm-*.patch: Red Hat distributed lock manager

    Hard.  Right now it seems that no in-kernel projects will use this and
    only one out-of-kernel project will use it.  Shelve the problem until
    after Kernel Summit, where some light may be shed.

    Opinions are sought...

connector.patch

    Nice idea IMO, but there are still questions around the
    implementation.  More dialogue needed ;)

connector-add-a-fork-connector.patch

    OK, but needs connector.

inotify

    There are still concerns about the userspace API and internal
    implementation details.  More slogging needed.

pcmcia-*.patch

    Makes the pcmcia layer generate hotplug events and deprecates cardmgr.
    Will merge.

NUMA-aware slab allocator

    Seems stable now, but it needs some ifdef reduction work before
    merging, please.

CPU scheduler

    Will merge some of these patches.  We're still discussing which ones.

perfctr

    Not yet, but getting closer.  The PPC64 guys still need to sort out a
    few interface issues with Mikael.  We might be able to fit this into
    2.6.13 if people get a move on.

cachefs

    This is a ton of code which knows rather a lot about pagecache
    internals.  It allows the AFS client to cache file contents on a local
    blockdev.

    I don't think it's a justified addition for only AFS and I'd prefer to
    see it proven for NFS as well.

    Issues around add-page-becoming-writable-notification.patch need to
    be resolved.

cachefs-for-nfs

    A recent addition.  Needs review from NFS developers and considerably
    more testing.

    These things aren't looking likely for 2.6.13.

kexec and kdump

    I guess we should merge these.

    I'm still concerned that the various device shutdown problems will
    mean that the success rate for crashing kernels is not high enough for
    kdump to be considered a success.  In which case in six months time we'll
    hear rumours about vendors shipping wholly different crashdump
    implementations, which would be quite bad.

    But I think this has gone as far as it can go in -mm, so it's a bit of
    a punt.

reiser4

    Merge it, I guess.

    The patches still contain all the reiser4-specific namespace
    enhancements, only it is disabled, so it is effectively dead code.  Maybe
    we should ask that it actually be removed?

v9fs

    I'm not sure that this has a sufficiently high
    usefulness-to-maintenance-cost ratio.

fuse

    This is useful, but there are, AFAIK, two issues:

    - We're still deadlocked over some permission-checking hacks in there

    - It has an NFS server implementation which only works if the
      to-be-served file happens to be in dcache.

      It has been said that a userspace NFS server can be used to get
      full NFS server functionality with FUSE.  I think the half-assed kernel
      implementation should be done away with.

execute-in-place

    Will merge.  Have the embedded guys commented on the usefulness of
    this for execute-out-of-ROM?

[parent not found: <200507062150.j66Lo7UW012493@laptop11.inf.utfsm.cl>]
* RE: reiser4 plugins
@ 2005-07-06 22:54 ` Doug Wicks
From: Doug Wicks @ 2005-07-06 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Reiser, David Masover
  Cc: Hubert Chan, Alexander G. M. Smith, ross.biro, vonbrand,
	mrmacman_g4, Valdis.Kletnieks, ltd, gmaxwell, jgarzik, hch, akpm,
	linux-kernel, reiserfs-list, zam, vs, ndiller, vitaly

How do I get off the mail list here?

doug@cavecreek.com

From: Doug Wicks @ 2005-07-06 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Reiser, reiserfs-list

Can you please take me off your email list? I have sent numerous emails
and still nobody will assist me.

Please, can you help me with this or should I contact your provider?

Doug@cavecreek.com

Doug

From: Martin Fouts @ 2005-07-04 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Reiser, Horst von Brand
  Cc: David Masover, David Weinehall, Markus Törnqvist,
	Douglas McNaught, Hubert Chan, Kyle Moffett, Valdis.Kletnieks,
	Lincoln Dale, Gregory Maxwell, Jeff Garzik, Christoph Hellwig,
	Andrew Morton, linux-kernel, ReiserFS List

Hi,

As long as we're being pedantic, not plan 9, research edition 8.  The original /proc file system was done by Tom Killian (I early misattributed it to Ritchie) for research edition 8, back in '84.

(See http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/eschrock/20040625 for history)

From: M. @ 2005-07-01 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On 6/28/05, Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> Markus   Törnqvist <mjt@nysv.org> wrote:
>
> > >Handling other people's data this way is just reckless irresponsibility.
> > >Sure, you can get high performance if you just forego some of your basic
> > >responsibilities.
>
> > Your honest-to-bog opinion is that the FS vendor is responsible for
> > the admin not taking backups or the hardware vendor shipping crap?
>
> No. But just relying on perfect hardware and concientious sysadmins is
> reckless. Hardware /is/ flaky, sysadmins /are/ (sometimes) lazy (and
> besides, today they are increasingly just plain Joe Sixpack users). Also,
> backing up a few hundred GiB is /not/ fun, and then keeping track of all
> the backups is messy.
>
> Also, I'm not claiming that they are /solely/ responsible, but not having
> the filesystem fall apart utterly every time some bug breaths on it /is/ a
> requirement.

Bug ? We're speaking about bad blocks NOT bugs...

When your hard disk get a bad block you can't keep using it and rely
on the "badblocks-proof filesystem structure that prevents you to do
backups"..even with FAT, the simpler filesystem structure around, if
you keep using you disk you are likely going to loose some data (yes,
maybe not entire files). But, even with the metadata's richer
filesystem, if you detect the first badblock you can save almost
everything.

Does it really makes sense to design a filesystem in a way that gives
users some more time to use their filesystem from the first happened
badblock or it's better to focus on new features that give better
everyday use in terms of performance, functionalities, etc ?

And, are you sure that users who dont do and dont know they have to do
backups of sensitive data are able to recover a corrupted filesystem ?

> > *still trying to understand how that can be*
>
> You haven't been around too much yet, do you?
> --
> Dr. Horst H. von Brand                   User #22616 counter.li.org
> Departamento de Informatica                     Fono: +56 32 654431
> Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria              +56 32 654239
> Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile                Fax:  +56 32 797513
> -

Michele
--
"Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality."

[parent not found: <200506300141.j5U1f5Hm004913@laptop11.inf.utfsm.cl>]
[parent not found: <fa.d8odcmh.1u56sbb@ifi.uio.no>]
* Re: reiser4 plugins
@ 2005-06-24 23:43 Daniel Arnold
From: Daniel Arnold @ 2005-06-24 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I looked at the whole thread regarding "reiser4 plugins" via Kerneltrap and
felt myself committed to say thank you to those people like Hans that have a
vision and are working hard to let it come true (and not only talk about what
might could be done ;-) ).

See the following comments as a pure outsiders user perspective view (Note: I
have virtually no knowledge of the technical kernel internals) of the
possibilities that Reiser4 and related technologies provide for our beloved
Linux operating system as I fear that you missed this view somehow in your
heated debate:

Although I'm currently using ReiserFS v3 at my (Suse) Linux box (and am happy
that it uses my small hard disk space better than other file systems and that
I could always repair the data on the file system in some minutes at least in
large parts in case my _hardware_ caused a system crash; I had a evil
graphics card...), I'm very excited of the possibilities v4 provides and
wonder why there are people at LKML that don't see those possibilities
although they have a lot of more knowledge than I have on files system issues
(as I'm mainly a user). Perhapes some are beside technical concerns trapped
into to a "traditional Unix religion" (for me this is the real reason why
e.g. the free BSD's are constantly forked, as everyone thinks he has found
the only true way in the "Unix religion").

Here are only some possibilities that come into my mind regarding Reiser4:

One big thing are all the nice applications that want databases like MySQL. As
they need that extra database software with its own tools and structures they
are often too complicated for a normal end user. Having the same software
using an intelligent file system without need for a special database would be
a big step in end user usability especially but not only at the desktop. And
of course you can easily manipulate your database with easy standard tools
like a file manager or from command line like cp, mv, rm which would be again
a big step back to simplicity.

Another idea is a CVS-like revision file system. Especially in /etc/ this
would help a lot... Imagine a revision-plugin for Reiser4: This system would
be self documenting as you don't need to keep in mind where, when, what you
changed (and for system scripts it would be easier to track the manual
manipulations; especially a problem at system upgrades). You could easily
make a diff of two revisions of a file e.g. for /etc/squid/squid.conf (a huge
single config file) with standard command line tools like diff (like
"diff /etc/squid/squid.conf/rev-0 /etc/squid/squid.conf/rev-current").

Another possibility would be e.g. replacing the RPM-database by a structure in
the Reiser4 file system. Imagine the structure of the rpm database which
software is installed sitting below /etc/packages/, e.g.
in /etc/packages/apache/. With removing the /etc/packages/apache/ directory a
clever Reiser4-plugin would instantly remove the whole package (don't know
how to handle the problem of executing necessary system scripts during that
procedure though). That this idea is highly demanded can be seen on Apple
computers and on a wired approach at a new FreeBSD distribution called
PC-BSD, where everything of a application is installed in a own separate
directory as on Windows...

Of course there are competiting approaches to this problem via hiding the
database structure to the user and reinventing again the file system level as
e.g. FUSE (which is/was also controversial at LKML but also highly demanded by
end users). You could also mount a rpm database with a proper FUSE-plugin and
let it look like a file system but this approach is not that elegant, needs a
lot more software than the "filesystem as a database vision" and has of course
poor performance by design compared to a direct solution like Reiser4.

And even FUSE is higly demanded as you can see e.g. with the KIO-Slaves of KDE
where the filesystem view is implemented even in a higher level (to my
knowledge KIO only exists as KDE needed a solution that works right now and
not after many flames and discussions about a system like FUSE).

So I personally see FUSE and Reiser4 somewhat related and beeing objected by
some people at LKML beside implementational problems by the same reasons of
"traditional" thinking.

My personal vision would be using FUSE as a transition tool for changing
existing structures back to the file system style and for mounting
non-traditional remote database structures (as SSH/SFTP or IMAP like it is
already done by the KIO-system in KDE) and Reiser4-plugins for sophisticated
structures that enable direct fast local database access without the need of
additional software.

Both ideas would be the killer feature of Linux desktops if used in
applications on larger scale.

So I wish you very much luck with getting this finally into the Linux 2.6 main
kernel as this software works right now and is needed right now. There is
always room for later tuning in which kernel layer a specific function has to
be...

Have fun,
Daniel Arnold

[parent not found: <20050620235458.5b437274.akpm@osdl.org.suse.lists.linux.kernel>]
* reiser4 plugins
@ 2005-01-12  1:38 ` Gagan Rajpal
From: Gagan Rajpal @ 2005-01-12  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hi,

What plugins are currently available for reiser4? Is an acl plugin
available. I am planning to use reiser4 for all my filesystems, is it
stable enough for production work.

Thanks,
Gagan

* Re: silent semantic changes with reiser4
@ 2004-08-25 22:28 Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2004-08-25 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Reiser
  Cc: hch, linux-fsdevel, linux-kernel, flx, torvalds, reiserfs-list

Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com> wrote:

> I had not intended to respond to this because I have nothing positive to
> say, but Andrew said I needed to respond and suggested I should copy
> Linus.

Yes, but I didn't say "flame Christoph and ignore the issues" ;)

There are lots of little things to do with implementation, coding style,
module exports, deadlocks, what code goes where, etc.  These are all normal
daily kernel business and we should set them aside for now and concentrate
on the bigger issues.

And as I see it, there are two big issues:

a) reiser4 extends the Linux API in ways which POSIX/Unix/etc do not
   anticipate and

b) it does this within the context of just a single filesystem.

I see three possible responses:

a) accept the reiser4-only extensions as-is (possibly with post-review
   modifications, of course) or

b) accept the reiser4-only extensions with a view to turning them into
   kernel-wide extensions at some time in the future, so all filesystems
   will offer the extensions (as much as poss) or

c) reject the extensions.

My own order of preference is b) c) a).  The fact that one filesystem will
offer features which other filesystems do not and cannot offer makes me
queasy for some reason.

b) means that at some time in the future we need to hoist the reiser4
extensions (at a conceptual level) (and probably with restrictions) up into
the VFS.  This will involve much thought, argument and work.

To get us started on this route it would really help me (and, probably,
others) if you could describe what these API extensions are in a very
simple way, without referring to incomprehehsible web pages, and without
using terms which non-reiser4 people don't understand.

It would be best if each extension was addressed in a separate email
thread.

We also need to discuss what a reiser4 "module" is, what its capabilities
are, and what licensing implications they have.

Then, we can look at each one and say "yup, that makes sense - we want
Linux to do that" and we can also think about how we would implement it at
the VFS level.

If we follow the above route I believe we can make progress in a technical
direction and not get deadlocked on personal/political stuff.

Now, an alternative to all the above is to just merge reiser4 as-is, after
addressing all the lower-level coding issues.  And see what happens.  That
may be a thing which Linus wishes to do.  I'm easy.